Default Porsche Gas Mileage

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:05:31 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:44:38 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.

A car like that should be in a better climate.

Let me store it for you here in Florida. :-)

You wish. It's one of my only joys in life.

Eisboch

Took the Goat out for it's monthly turnaround today and stopped by my
younger (Eisboch Jr's) house. He's too young to remember or even know of
old school muscle cars. He thinks his high revving hemi in his Durango is
the balls.

So, when I left his house, I had to show him what old, low RPM, high torque,
American Muscle was all about......

http://www.eisboch.com/mymark2.jpg

and to think .... in a couple of years I'll be 60 years old.

Eisboch

Probably added two degrees to the earth's temperature. Shame on you.
DK DK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:44:38 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.
A car like that should be in a better climate.

Let me store it for you here in Florida. :-)

You wish. It's one of my only joys in life.

Eisboch

Took the Goat out for it's monthly turnaround today and stopped by my
younger (Eisboch Jr's) house. He's too young to remember or even know of
old school muscle cars. He thinks his high revving hemi in his Durango is
the balls.

So, when I left his house, I had to show him what old, low RPM, high torque,
American Muscle was all about......

http://www.eisboch.com/mymark2.jpg

and to think .... in a couple of years I'll be 60 years old.

Eisboch

Nice and straight. Interesting asphalt curbs.

I was once given the keys to a 911 Targa and allowed to drive it around
a mall parking lot for a test drive. I wouldn't have cared it it got 5
MPG, I was in love with that car and would have lived with what ever
the milaeage came to. Unfortunately, I had just bought another car and
wasn't able to take on 2 cars, so the opportunity eluded me.

"N.L. Eckert" wrote in message
I was once given the keys to a 911 Targa and allowed to drive it around
a mall parking lot for a test drive. I wouldn't have cared it it got 5
MPG, I was in love with that car and would have lived with what ever
the milaeage came to. Unfortunately, I had just bought another car and
wasn't able to take on 2 cars, so the opportunity eluded me.

Mine's a 911 (996) Twin Turbo. I drive it very infrequently and often
wonder why I keep it.
But, all it takes is a nice day and a ride somewhere and I quickly remember
why.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"N.L. Eckert" wrote in message
I was once given the keys to a 911 Targa and allowed to drive it around
a mall parking lot for a test drive. I wouldn't have cared it it got 5
MPG, I was in love with that car and would have lived with what ever
the milaeage came to. Unfortunately, I had just bought another car and
wasn't able to take on 2 cars, so the opportunity eluded me.

Mine's a 911 (996) Twin Turbo. I drive it very infrequently and often
wonder why I keep it.
But, all it takes is a nice day and a ride somewhere and I quickly
remember why.

Eisboch

Couple of years ago, a local guy overheard a young man lamenting on his car
for the Senior Prom. Loaned him his car. Was a 911. Kid was class. Drove
it carefully and washed and waxed it before returning. Guy did not know the
kid before the loan. Both people showed a lot of class and judgement of
people.

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:44:38 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

In these days of high fuel prices and being "green", I love it when people
smugly comment about how my 911 TT must be "terrible"
in terms of gas mileage.

Today, for kicks, I reset the car computer that calculates MPG as I
entered
onto a limited access highway heading back from the Cape.
I drove for approximately 35 minutes, at speeds ranging from 60 -75 mph,
mostly 65-70 mph. I didn't do anything special in terms of driving
techniques ... just drove normally.

At the end of the 35 minutes, the computer calculated mileage display read
"28.9 mpg".
My "normal" average of combined around town and highway driving is usually
about
20-21 mpg unless I have done some sustained "spirited" driving.

Not bad, all things considered, and the look on people's faces when I tell
them what it gets for mileage is usually one of disbelief.

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.

Eisboch

You are doing about as well as I do in a 2 liter Honda Prelude (avg
about 23-24). I can squeeze 31-32 out of it if I use all the "Mobil
Gas Economy Run" tricks I know, not stuck in traffic and stay off the

Frankly, I am not sure I believe the computer. I just filled it up and will
check it the old fashioned way ..... mileage driven, gallons used.

interstate.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I constantly check the gas mileage on both my Buick Lucernes. Both car
computers err to the high side between 0.3 and 1.1 MPG.

The error doesn't matter if the driving is around town or on the highway for
extended periods.

DK DK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

Frankly, I am not sure I believe the computer. I just filled it up and will
check it the old fashioned way ..... mileage driven, gallons used.

I think I'm getting a bit more in the X5, too. I'll have to try that.

Have you ever run mid-grade in your German cars? I know the computers
will adjust and the fuel economy can decrease.

"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

Frankly, I am not sure I believe the computer. I just filled it up and
will check it the old fashioned way ..... mileage driven, gallons used.

I think I'm getting a bit more in the X5, too. I'll have to try that.

Have you ever run mid-grade in your German cars? I know the computers
will adjust and the fuel economy can decrease.

I never tried anything but "high test". When we had the BMW's, the price
of gas wasn't an issue, so there was no reason.
One downside of the Porsche is that it calls for 93 octane (minimum). The
only place I can get it is at Sunoco, who still carries 93 "Ultra". I've
often considered taking it over to the little Plymouth airport where I took
flying lessons and see if I could buy half a tank of 100 octane aviation
fuel to mix with the 93 octane. Problem is that I think aviation gas is
still leaded, and it would probably screw something up.

Mrs.E. had a good one the other day. Her Navigator calls for "high test"
(91 octane). She was giving me a ride back from the Cape after I brought
the boat down there and I noticed that her left directional was blinking
twice as fast as the right. I mentioned to her that one of the blinker
lights was probably out.

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Some people should stick to horses.

Eisboch

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Heh...

Some people should stick to horses

Speaking of 91 octane, the gas stations around here aren't sellin it
anymore - or the mid-grade 87 octane.

Just regular.

Buzz: Icepick and TomSportWaveShorting.. Porsche content Tim General 0 December 7th 06 01:07 PM
mileage Bede17 ASA 1 September 11th 04 10:55 PM
Gas Mileage Dan Thompson General 7 August 15th 03 07:59 AM
Gas Mileage Ron Thornton Boat Building 3 July 5th 03 09:38 PM