posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats

Default Chinese boat crap

Went to buy some stainless 1/4-20 wingnuts from Home Depot for my
boat (Tolman Skiff). All thjey had were some really crappy looking
ones. Sure enough, made in China. I threw them back on the shelf
figuring they were probably pot metal. Cannot trust Chinese made
stuff. Went to Ace and bought some US made ones. They cost a lot
more but I know they are real SS.
Th cheapo Chinese stuff really costs a LOT more than the US made stuff
if you figure you will likely need to replace the Chinese stuff.
Besides, when I am offshore, I want to be sure my boat will stay
together. My life is worth paying a little more.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:49:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Went to Ace and bought some US made ones. They cost a lot
more but I know they are real SS.

Test them with a magnet. Real SS isn't magnetic.

If it's magnetic, it's probably imported.

On Apr 20, 9:49*pm, wrote:
Went to buy some *stainless 1/4-20 wingnuts from Home Depot for my
boat (Tolman Skiff). *All thjey had were some really crappy looking
ones. *Sure enough, made in China. *I threw them back on the shelf
figuring they were probably pot metal. *Cannot trust Chinese made
stuff. *Went to Ace and bought some US made ones. *They cost a lot
more but I know they are real SS.
Th cheapo Chinese stuff really costs a LOT more than the US made stuff
if you figure you will likely need to replace the Chinese stuff.
Besides, when I am offshore, I want to be sure my boat will stay
together. *My life is worth paying a little more.

Chinese tool quality has come up quite a bit in the past 10-15 years
but I haven't dealt with their fasteners yet, all of the nails and
screws I use are Made in USA. I agree with your point about
replacement being an issue and with a boat, going with the best you
can find is very important. Has anyone else here used Chinese boat
stuff?
posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats

On Apr 20, 11:12 pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

The Chinese ones were $1.20 for a dozen while the USA made ones at Ace
were $1.10 EACH. Yeah, I got ripped off but I needed them NOW and
will not put chinese crap on my boat.

posted to sci.military.naval,rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

will not put chinese crap on my boat.- Hide quoted text -

$1.10? i think that's plenty, but when you think about it, it really
isn't that high for quality stainless. At least you know they arn't
going to have their plating turn to corrosion, then powder, then rust
the first month left out in the humidity.

wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

Well, I've gotten some of these "higher" quality SS fasteners and they
are magnetic - which means they will rust.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

are magnetic - which means they will rust.- Hide quoted text -

evidently not higher quality enough.

surgical wingnuts?

hmmm, could their be a market for them?

wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. Lots of stainless is magnetic. Austenite is the only one
not magnetic and it can become magnetic when cold worked. Also even 310
will rust if heated red hot and then cooled. Lets the carbides precipitate
out. I have a very nice stainless gazing ball stand I made for SWMBO.
Where I had to heat it to get some tight bends, it does show some rust.

Junior Member

I am not sure what ACE hardware store you buy from, but I manage the hardware department of one and I have never charged a $1.10 + for a stainless steel wingnut (1/4-20). We stock Hillman Fasteners in bulk and I would say (not at work right this minute) that at the most they might price at @ $0.45 each. We offer a huge selection of bulk fasteners and yes they do cost more - but our key is that we have hardware the Big Box stores can't even contemplate stocking. We sell by the piece or by the box (with a discount of 20% for full boxes). Charging a bit more allows us to afford to stock such a large variety...

Andy

p.s., Sorry folks, we don't ship... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] View Post

SW Tom's Chinese Mud HK General 1 November 28th 07 12:05 AM
Chinese Junk Sails and can you identify this boat? Gil G. Boat Building 2 October 14th 05 04:23 PM
The Chinese circus John Cairns ASA 0 September 26th 04 07:01 AM
Chinese Junk njiuy General 2 August 1st 03 05:41 AM