Gil G.

Default Chinese Junk Sails and can you identify this boat?

Hello,

I am restoring an old steel boat, 32ft. steel double ender, similar to
the Tahitiana, but with one chine. All measurements are equal to the
Tahitiana set of plans, which I have, but for the one chine.
The title says the boat was built in 1950, which seems very old, and
there was no Tahitiana at the time. It is certainly inspired by the
Tahiti ketch. See a photo at:

http://keskydee.com/images/boat7.jpg

Anyone has an idea who the designer is?

Since I have no masts, I am thinking of using Chinese lug sails. I
have the Van Loan book, receive the junkrig yahoo group, and have
found much info on the internet on the subject, very positive.

My question is: Has anyone had negative experiences with these sails,
and are there any reasons not to use them?
Why don't we see them more in the US if they are as great as I have
read?

If you know anything about them, please post your opinion, good or
bad.

Thank you very much, sincerely,

Gil.

Aviation community:
http://planenews.com
Lew Hodgett

Gil G. wrote:

Since I have no masts, I am thinking of using Chinese lug sails. I
have the Van Loan book, receive the junkrig yahoo group, and have
found much info on the internet on the subject, very positive.

My question is: Has anyone had negative experiences with these sails,
and are there any reasons not to use them?
Why don't we see them more in the US if they are as great as I have
read?

If you know anything about them, please post your opinion, good or
bad.

Get a copy of Practical Junk Rig by Hasler & McLeod.

There is/was a very active group in the UK.

From memory, think it is Junk Rig association.

Lew