BoatBanter.com

-   -   Chinese Junk Sails and can you identify this boat? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/48824-chinese-junk-sails-can-you-identify-boat.html)

Gil G. September 22nd 05 06:39 PM

Chinese Junk Sails and can you identify this boat?

Hello,

I am restoring an old steel boat, 32ft. steel double ender, similar to
the Tahitiana, but with one chine. All measurements are equal to the
Tahitiana set of plans, which I have, but for the one chine.
The title says the boat was built in 1950, which seems very old, and
there was no Tahitiana at the time. It is certainly inspired by the
Tahiti ketch. See a photo at:

http://keskydee.com/images/boat7.jpg

Anyone has an idea who the designer is?

Since I have no masts, I am thinking of using Chinese lug sails. I
have the Van Loan book, receive the junkrig yahoo group, and have
found much info on the internet on the subject, very positive.

My question is: Has anyone had negative experiences with these sails,
and are there any reasons not to use them?
Why don't we see them more in the US if they are as great as I have
read?

If you know anything about them, please post your opinion, good or
bad.

Thank you very much, sincerely,

Gil.

Aviation community:
http://planenews.com

Lew Hodgett September 22nd 05 07:56 PM

Gil G. wrote:

Since I have no masts, I am thinking of using Chinese lug sails. I
have the Van Loan book, receive the junkrig yahoo group, and have
found much info on the internet on the subject, very positive.

My question is: Has anyone had negative experiences with these sails,
and are there any reasons not to use them?
Why don't we see them more in the US if they are as great as I have
read?

If you know anything about them, please post your opinion, good or
bad.

Get a copy of Practical Junk Rig by Hasler & McLeod.

There is/was a very active group in the UK.

From memory, think it is Junk Rig association.

Lew

Roger Derby October 14th 05 04:23 PM

Chinese Junk Sails and can you identify this boat?

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:39:50 GMT, (Gil G.)
wrote:

snip

Why don't we see them more in the US if they are as great as I have
read?

Marketing. Boat salesmen like to cite the racing fleets and most races
emphasize the beat to windward since it offers the highest differentiation
of skill/strategy/tactics. When reaching or running, you either have it or
you don't, and it's sort of like watching grass grow. The "cruisers" want
to look like the racers.

Also, the junk rig offers the least opportunity for selling people the
wonderful, expensive, high tech "go-fast" gimmicks -- hydraulic boom vangs
and back stay tensioners, fancy winches, laminated sails, etc.

Add in the fact that most designers and sailmakers have zero experience with
the rig ...

Just my opinion.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm