Gould 0738

Default US occupation of Iraq unsustainable over long run, Congress warns

Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Saudi Arabia,
Syria,
Afghanistan,
Pakistan,
Palestine,
etc etc etc.

No, they are not all going to travel to Iraq to try and outgun the US military.
No showdown at the OK Corral. You beat the US by slow attrition of personnel,
resources, and morale and denying the US the support of the general population
in an occupied country, not by trying to outgun the world's only remaining
superpower. They know that if they wage war on our terms, they will lose. That
is exactly why they will choose the time, the place, and the conditions of the
encounters. Their only realistic hope is to be able to set the rules and not
follow ours. (Somebody needs to tell certain parties in the mid East that the
US "won" the war in Iraq. Many people claim it just entered a new phase.)

This strategy defeated the US in Viet Nam.
It defeated the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

And how about that economy Gould? All indicators show a rebound. The
results should
be positively fantastic by election time next year. Don't ya' just love it!

Indeed. Nobody will be more pleased than I *if* the economy performs a
"fantastic rebound" in the next 14 months. Stay tuned. Even the mismanagement
of the Bush administration can screw up the economy only so much before some
natural resiliency at least tries to kick in. :-)

NOYB

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Saudi Arabia,
Syria,
Afghanistan,
Pakistan,
Palestine,
etc etc etc.

No, they are not all going to travel to Iraq to try and outgun the US

military.
No showdown at the OK Corral. You beat the US by ...

You beat the US through terrorist attacks that chip away at morale and turn
the bleeding heart liberals against its own government. Sorry to see that
you're cooperating. Perhaps you should be charged with sedition.

Jim

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Sorry you cannot see the forest from the trees. But your political slant is blinding
you. Too bad.

This is the fight for survival for the terrorists. If they lose here, they lose. They
are digging in.

And I just love the fact that they are coming to us in Iraq, facing our military,
rather than attacking us here in the US.

Learn to see the bigger picture Chuck.

BTW: Glad to see you appreciate the economic rebound we are now seeing. Are you going
to give thanks to GWB or was this the result of something Clinton put in place? ;-)

Gould 0738

You beat the US through terrorist attacks that chip away at morale and turn
the bleeding heart liberals against its own government. Sorry to see that
you're cooperating. Perhaps you should be charged with sedition.

Sedition? Certainly not. Criticizing the Bush administration, its policies, or
the effects of those policies isn't sedition, it's treason. At least according
to Ann Coulter.

You disagree with what portion of my observation about how a terrorist or
guerilla organization wages war against a powerful, industrialized nation? Do
you also believe that all the terrorists on the planet are now headed to Iraq
to duke it out mano-a-mano
with the US?
Gould 0738

This is the fight for survival for the terrorists. If they lose here, they
lose. They
are digging in.

You are trying to apply conventional military logic to guerilla warriors and
terrorists. No, they do not and will not behave like Custer at the Little
Bighorn.
(In spite of Condi Rice's ingenious "fly paper" analogy)

BTW: Glad to see you appreciate the economic rebound we are now seeing. Are
you going
to give thanks to GWB or was this the result of something Clinton put in
place? ;-)

????? For several years, we've had to listen to excuses about how the POTUS
doesn't run the economy. Suddenly, when it looks as though it *might* begin to
pick up.......(and we won't waste a lot of time with why the current signals
may be misleading....the effects of one-time refund checks working thier way
through the pipeline and a temporary uptick in consumer spending until the
credit cards recently paid off with a re-fi are charged back up the brink
again,etc.....).....suddenly if things go right
Bush gets the credit? Not surprising. At all.

Mark Browne

"Jim" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Sorry you cannot see the forest from the trees. But your political slant

is blinding
you. Too bad.

This is the fight for survival for the terrorists. If they lose here,

they lose. They
are digging in.

And I just love the fact that they are coming to us in Iraq, facing our

military,
rather than attacking us here in the US.

Learn to see the bigger picture Chuck.

So if the causality figures approach 3000 Americans you will concede that
this *was* a worthless adventure?
Please remember that this occupation is not without cost: for the 130 or so
dead, we have a *much* larger figures in citizens with missing limbs and
messed up lives.

I question the value gained for the huge cost paid. If it is not about the
oil, what exactly are we gaining in Iraq? Enough of the people there
(perhaps 10% of the populace) don't want us to succeed for the US to make
much of a difference. Our swaggering bully stance certainly had not bought
the USA a gain on the international stage. Some fear perhaps, but not
respect. Of course, if we waste a much larger number of USA citizens,
perhaps our actions will gain more meaning, just like they did in Vietnam.
For bonus points, tell me again why we were in Vietnam?

BTW: Glad to see you appreciate the economic rebound we are now seeing.

Are you going
to give thanks to GWB or was this the result of something Clinton put in

place? ;-)

Certainly you jest?
We are borrowing prosperity from our offspring.
At best, mis-guided and short sighted; at worst, the final, most telling act
of greed of the "me" generation.
Mark Browne

Mark Browne

"NOYB" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Saudi Arabia,
Syria,
Afghanistan,
Pakistan,
Palestine,
etc etc etc.

No, they are not all going to travel to Iraq to try and outgun the US

military.
No showdown at the OK Corral. You beat the US by ...

You beat the US through terrorist attacks that chip away at morale and

turn
the bleeding heart liberals against its own government. Sorry to see that
you're cooperating. Perhaps you should be charged with sedition.

When it is against the law to say that the emperor has no clothes, our
opponents will have won anyway!

Mark Browne

NOYB

"bb" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:35:20 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

You beat the US through terrorist attacks that chip away at morale and

turn
the bleeding heart liberals against its own government.

Some wars are necessary, and some are unjustified. If it weren't for
said bleeding heart liberals the US would still be bogged down in Viet
Nam.

No we wouldn't. You're assuming that war was "unwinnable". I think that
the half-hearted effort our government put forth just prolonged the
war...and increased our casualty numbers.

I don't know if you're old enough to know much about that
conflict, but unfortunately, Iraq has more in common with Viet Nam
than any other conflict.

It has nothing in common. There is no Russia or China to help back the
people causing the trouble. Saddam's army was soundly defeated, but there
are terrorists there using leftover caches of explosives to inflict terror
strikes. Nobody is supplying them with arms like they were the Vietcong.
Not one attack has a strategic value. The terrorist control no land, no
cities, and no supply line. Their sole purpose is to inflict enough
casualties that American opinion starts to sway, and we leave with our tails
between our legs.

Sorry to see that
you're cooperating.

I'm glad to see he's patriotically exercising his right to dissent.
You young people missed your chance to watch the nation go throught
the trials of an unjust war. Lucky you, now's your chance. It might
take you 20 or so years to understand, but most likely, some day you
will.

I see the war as a way to protect America and its economy. The Middle East
is a mess. Unfortunately, our entire economy depends upon its oil.
Removing Saddam and installing an American-friendly government protects the
flow of oil so we don't have to put up with the Saudi's bull****. There has
been ample evidence that Saddam's intelligence people had worked and have
been working with many of the World's terror organizations. He provided
safe haven for many of them...and would likely supply WMD's at his first
opportunity. Hell, there's an article in Newsweek (I think) discussing how
al Qaeda has biological weapons and has been working on a means to deliver
them. You think the war was unjustified...and I think otherwise...and
always will.

Perhaps you should be charged with sedition.

Not yet, but if Bush wins again in '04, Ashcroft may have his way.

One can only hope. ;-)

Jim

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Saudi Arabia,
Syria,
Afghanistan,
Pakistan,
Palestine,
etc etc etc.

No, they are not all going to travel to Iraq to try and outgun the US military.

Where did I say *all*? Why do you continue to generalize?

No showdown at the OK Corral.

Sure it is. This is an important battle for the terrorists to win. It is the gunfight
at the OK Corral.

You beat the US by slow attrition of personnel,
resources, and morale and denying the US the support of the general population
in an occupied country, not by trying to outgun the world's only remaining
superpower.

That is what makes the fight in Iraq ideal for us. I would rather see the terrorists
take on our military in Iraq than taking on the US citizens on US soil.

They know that if they wage war on our terms, they will lose.

Exactly how do you know that? Saddam thought he was invincible.

That
is exactly why they will choose the time, the place, and the conditions of the
encounters. Their only realistic hope is to be able to set the rules and not
follow ours. (Somebody needs to tell certain parties in the mid East that the
US "won" the war in Iraq. Many people claim it just entered a new phase.)

This strategy defeated the US in Viet Nam.
It defeated the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

Totally different wars and different circumstances.

And how about that economy Gould? All indicators show a rebound. The
results should
be positively fantastic by election time next year. Don't ya' just love it!

Indeed. Nobody will be more pleased than I *if* the economy performs a
"fantastic rebound" in the next 14 months. Stay tuned. Even the mismanagement
of the Bush administration can screw up the economy only so much before some
natural resiliency at least tries to kick in. :-)

Ahhh, so the recession was GWB's fault but the recovery has nothing to do with him. I
would expect to hear that type of logic from you.

jps

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
Is that what is bothering you, did a Christian knock on your door and try

shove his politics and religion down your throat? I could not figure out
why you had a chip on your shoulder, now I understand.

And I'm sure that if Muslims invaded the US because we're a
(unsubstantiated) threat to them, you'd accept Mohammed and Saddam National
Construction as your saviors.