Jim

Default US occupation of Iraq unsustainable over long run, Congress warns

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Iraq is the last holding ground for terrorists.

I only wish you were right. (I mean correct). Sadly, you are not.

Saudi Arabia,
Syria,
Afghanistan,
Pakistan,
Palestine,
etc etc etc.

No, they are not all going to travel to Iraq to try and outgun the US military.

Where did I say *all*? Why do you continue to generalize?

No showdown at the OK Corral.

Sure it is. This is an important battle for the terrorists to win. It is the gunfight
at the OK Corral.

You beat the US by slow attrition of personnel,
resources, and morale and denying the US the support of the general population
in an occupied country, not by trying to outgun the world's only remaining
superpower.

That is what makes the fight in Iraq ideal for us. I would rather see the terrorists
take on our military in Iraq than taking on the US citizens on US soil.

They know that if they wage war on our terms, they will lose.

Exactly how do you know that? Saddam thought he was invincible.

That
is exactly why they will choose the time, the place, and the conditions of the
encounters. Their only realistic hope is to be able to set the rules and not
follow ours. (Somebody needs to tell certain parties in the mid East that the
US "won" the war in Iraq. Many people claim it just entered a new phase.)

This strategy defeated the US in Viet Nam.
It defeated the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

Totally different wars and different circumstances.

And how about that economy Gould? All indicators show a rebound. The
results should
be positively fantastic by election time next year. Don't ya' just love it!

Indeed. Nobody will be more pleased than I *if* the economy performs a
"fantastic rebound" in the next 14 months. Stay tuned. Even the mismanagement
of the Bush administration can screw up the economy only so much before some
natural resiliency at least tries to kick in. :-)

Ahhh, so the recession was GWB's fault but the recovery has nothing to do with him. I
would expect to hear that type of logic from you.