Default Yo, guitar players

Got a call a little while ago from my guitar instructor. This guy
plays everything from classical to zydeco, and is very good. Well, his
rock band is playing a local club, told me to come by, and oh, don't
forget your guitar, it's time I got you to play to a crowd!!!! Now,
I've played quite a few years, have taken lessons a lot, and then
practiced alot, but I just never got comfortable with thinking I was
good enough to play with a DECENT band, kinda shy about it. He thinks
I'm good enough, so I'm going and I'm STOKED.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
Got a call a little while ago from my guitar instructor. This guy
plays everything from classical to zydeco, and is very good. Well, his
rock band is playing a local club, told me to come by, and oh, don't
forget your guitar, it's time I got you to play to a crowd!!!! Now,
I've played quite a few years, have taken lessons a lot, and then
practiced alot, but I just never got comfortable with thinking I was
good enough to play with a DECENT band, kinda shy about it. He thinks
I'm good enough, so I'm going and I'm STOKED.

Playing with a band is much different than playing in a lone situation
and practicing.

You might get some stage fright. But that's OK, pretty soon you'll get
a groove with the rest of the band and it all works out well. can be
quite a rush actually. then you'll get the fever to be in a band
yourself.

Knock, em dead!

On Mar 14, 2:33*pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's why I've not done it, it's SO much different than sitting
in my bar/studio! By the way, I'm doing Mary Jane's Last Dance (Petty)
and Straight to Hell (Drivin' and Cryin') Good thing is, I know all of
the band pretty well. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll let you know
how bad I fall on my face!
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:33?pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Eh, you'll do OK. But unless they're a really great cover band, you'll
find that playing along to a cd is a whole lot different than live.

This is a phrase our bad says right before we start a gig. The guitar
guy grabs the mic and announces that "all mistakes are intentional. It
keeps you (the crowd) on your toes!"

If you screw up, you screw up. Don't think a thing about it you could
lose your whole mindset. . pick back up and Keep playing ....

I'm confident you'll have a blast.

On Mar 14, 2:45*pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:33?pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'm confident you'll have a blast.- Hide quoted text -

The good thing is that when he's not teaching a class, he'll call and
I'll go over and jamb with him because the store where he teaches
nights is just down the street.

Senior Member

On Mar 14, 3:06*pm, wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:45*pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:33?pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

nights is just down the street.- Hide quoted text -

Man, all I can say is try to be on the stage as close as you can while
they play the first set or two. Once you get behind the monitor,
everything sounds like something you never heard before in your life..
I know, I used to do a lot of "walk on" singing for different friends
bands... I remember one trip to Flatt Street in VT. They started
playing Limelight by Rush and I was asking "what the hell are you all
playing as the intro was going on". The guitarist leaned over and
said, "oh, we tune down a half step for our singer, didn't we tell
you!?".. Got into it about the second verse.. Tom Sawyer and, Spirit
of the radidio went a little better.. The thing was Billy Squire and
his band had finished a gig in Brattleborough and were in the house, I
was pretty nervous.. During a break, the bass player from Squire came
up and said, "good catch" but it did not make me feel much better...

"Tim" wrote in message

This is a phrase our bad says right before we start a gig. The guitar
guy grabs the mic and announces that "all mistakes are intentional. It
keeps you (the crowd) on your toes!"

If you screw up, you screw up. Don't think a thing about it you could
lose your whole mindset. . pick back up and Keep playing ....

I remember taking trumpet lessons from a guy that played for the Boston
Pops. He told me the mark of a good musician is one who makes mistakes, but
keeps on playing like the score was written that way.

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Mar 14, 3:28*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

This is a phrase our bad says right before we start a gig. The guitar
guy grabs the mic and announces that "all mistakes are intentional. It
keeps you (the crowd) on your toes!"

If you screw up, you screw up. Don't think a thing about it you could
lose your whole mindset. . *pick back *up and Keep playing ....

I remember taking trumpet lessons from a guy that played for the Boston
Pops. *He told me the mark of a good musician is one who makes mistakes, but
keeps on playing like the score was written that way.

Eisboch

Ever hear of Nicholas Lezbines, he played oboe for the pops, he was my
music teacher...?

On Mar 14, 3:26*pm, wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:06*pm, wrote:

On Mar 14, 2:45*pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:33?pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

up and said, "good catch" but it did not make me feel much better... - Hide quoted text -

Oh I've been there, just not playing.

wrote in message

Ever hear of Nicholas Lezbines, he played oboe for the pops, he was my
music teacher...?

Nope. But then again, sometimes I have a hard time remembering Mrs.E.'s
first name.

Eisboch

Blu-Ray DVD players Eisboch General 79 February 3rd 08 02:14 PM
MP3 Players/Accessories for Boat Use? JimH General 4 January 27th 06 07:11 PM
marine CD/Receiver players Guillermo General 1 December 17th 03 07:51 AM