Default Blu-Ray DVD players

This is posted as a word of warning to potential Blu-Ray disk players who
have become accustom to the operation of a regular DVD player.

They work great, have a great picture in HD, but .....

They are a pain in the rear.

Unlike a conventional DVD player, the Blu-Ray players are basically
controlled by an internal and v-e-r-y slow microprocessor.

Hit the "Open" button and it thinks about it for a while. If it decides to
cooperate, the disk drive opens after a two or three minute delay.

Hit the "Power off" button, and it thinks about it again for a while. Might
shut off, might not.

When it goes to play a movie, it first "loads" a bunch of data into ROM.
You may as well go get a cup of coffee or a beer while waiting for it to
load up.

Sometimes, it simply cuts the video out completely while thinking about
things and your monitor goes to "no signal". When this happens, resist the
urge to hit another command button. All that accomplishes is another thing
for it to think about for a while. Eventually, the picture will come back.

Although they produce a superior picture when they run, I don't think they
are quite ready for prime time.

BTW .... these characteristics are the same on two Blu-Ray players that I
bought ... the Sharp and a Sony that I bought for Mrs.E. today. Of the
two, the Sharp has been the most cooperative.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

So, what you are saying is that it works about as smoothly as SWTOM fishes?

:}

Where is he, anyway? I miss my daily dose of Tom-sults.

Jim Jim is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Does this thing operate under windoze? I have a Samsung DVD recorder (out
for repair at the moment because it ignores CDs) that behaves much like your
blue ray thingie.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

I don't have a BluRay player. I remember reading somewhere that there's
problems with HDMI. Have you tried, just to prove a point, other
interconnections?

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. Similar slowness in component video hookup, although I think it's
worse in HDMI. It plays a regular, non HD DVD fine and responds to commands
much more quickly, but still is slow to do basic things .... like turn off.

Interestingly, my daughter has a Playstation 3 game system for her kids.
It also can play Blu-Ray DVD's. She reports similar issues using it.

I think the processor in these things is overloaded. In hindsight, I
should have waited for a couple of more years for the technology to mature.
They are painful to use.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Yup! I always wait a while on new fangled gadgets to see if they pan out.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:24:25 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

If you want a BluRay player, I'm curious why someone would buy a
BluRay player other than a PS3 for $399? The PS3 works great as a
BluRay player. It's not slow, doesn't cut out, doesn't have *any* of
the problems you mentioned above and uses a very fast microprocessor.
By far, the very fastest available in any home computer actually.

And as a bonus, besides watching BluRay discs, you can play PS2 or PS3
games and (if you plug in a USB keyboard and mouse) even use it as a
general purpose computer running Linux. It's the best deal going in
home entertainment if you ask me.

Steve

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Subsequently I've read a little more and sluggishness seems to be the order
of the day.

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:24:25 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If you want a BluRay player, I'm curious why someone would buy a
BluRay player other than a PS3 for $399? The PS3 works great as a
BluRay player. It's not slow, doesn't cut out, doesn't have *any* of
the problems you mentioned above and uses a very fast microprocessor.
By far, the very fastest available in any home computer actually.

And as a bonus, besides watching BluRay discs, you can play PS2 or PS3
games and (if you plug in a USB keyboard and mouse) even use it as a
general purpose computer running Linux. It's the best deal going in
home entertainment if you ask me.

Steve

I didn't know PS3 played Blu-Ray until after I had purchased the disk
players, mentioned the issues to my daughter and she informed me about PS3
which she has for her two boys. I have no interest in video games, so it
didn't occur to me to even check them out. Except .... due to the
discussion, she let me borrow their "Wii" system. What a blast!
You hold a controller in your hand and physically go through the motions of
bowling or swinging a baseball bat, golf club, tennis racket, etc. I got a
kick out of it.

Back to Blue-Ray. Does the Playstation 3 also play regular DVDs and CDs?
Also, my daughter said it had operational issues similar to those I've
experienced with the Sharp and Sony players when playing a Blu-Ray disk.
I know the Blu-Ray disks hold a huge amount of data compared to regular DVD.
I wonder if finding, reading and displaying the data is the reason for it's
slow motionness.

Another expensive lesson learned, although once they are playing, the
picture quality is outstanding.

Eisboch

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:43:40 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Does the Playstation 3 also play regular DVDs and CDs?

Yes.

With the 80 Gb system, it uses software emulatoin for backwards
compatibility to PS2. Which sucks by the way.

I read your Blu-Ray post with some interest as my PS3 does exactly the
same thing with Blu-Ray discs - slower than hell to load up and play.
Any commands are glacial.

In my opinion, the processor is too small. Once everything is loaded
though - game play is great and the movies are outstanding.