JimH

Default MP3 Players/Accessories for Boat Use?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Anyone using their iPODs on their boats? IF so, are you playing through an
existing stereo system, or through one of the newer car/boat dash stereos
with an MP3 player input, or...just hooking up to external iPOD speakers?

Thanks for the heads up on this option. We are replacing the cassette
player/FM radio on our boat and might as well go with the current technology
for both CD and MP3.

Bill Kearney

Thanks for the heads up on this option. We are replacing the cassette
player/FM radio on our boat and might as well go with the current

technology
for both CD and MP3.

Decide just how much you'd use the CD if you had the iPod. Once you rip the
CD onto the computer and transfer it to the iPod you don't have much need
for it. At least not in the boat. If anything, get a head unit (the radio)
that has a CD built into it. This would leave you without a tape deck, of
course. But much like CDs, once it's on the iPod why bother with the tapes
anymore? Then again, I'm sure there might still be a head unit that has a
tape deck in it that also supports an external CD changer along with the
iPod.

A point to consider is the external changer. If you've got one now there's
an even chance it may or may not work with a modern head unit. So while
replacing the whole shebang might be expensive, it's often a real pain in
the ass trying to mix/match old with new components.

I'd focus on whether you've already got cockpit and transom remotes for the
stereo. It's one thing to replace just the head unit and the wiring to the
changer. Replacing those remotes, however, might involve quite a bit more
labor. On a boat the labor's the killer if you've having it done.

-Bill Kearney

RG

I wouldn't minding finding a decent built-in FM Radio/MP3 player to
install on Yo Ho if I don't sell her. Any recommendations in the $200 or
so range?

Easily done at that price. In 2004, purchased a used 18 foot Sea Doo jet
boat to futz around with. It had a factory AM/FM/Cassette head unit. I
replaced it with an AM/FM/CD/MP3 player. I think it was an Alpine (sold the
boat in 2005), but it matters not as there are a number of brands of decent
quality similar players out there in that $200-$300 price range. The point
is, the CD player will read CDRs that have MP3s burned on them. I was able
get 150 MP3s to a single CDR. I kept a CD wallet filled with 10 such CDRs
in the glove compartment of the boat. Took up very little storage space,
which is important on a small boat.Those 10 CDRs contained the 1500 songs
that were on my portable MP3 player. What was nice about this solution was
that I didn't have to remember to bring the portable player, and didn't have
to secure the portable from getting knocked around or getting wet. No patch
cords needed. And, if the discs on the boat got stolen or destroyed from
heat, all I was out was $2.50 for the cost of the blank media. I kept
backup copies of the discs at home, just in case I needed to duplicate them.
Pop a single CDR in the player, set it to shuffle play, and it was good for
the day.

RG

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
RG wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I really would rather have a player that has an input for an
MP3 player.

That's not the way you wrote it. You inquired about a built in FM Radio MP3
player. Either way, having a unit that plays MP3s and has an auxiliary
input will not be difficult. Just about everything sold today has an
auxiliary input.

Bill Kearney

Either way, having a unit that plays MP3s and has an auxiliary
input will not be difficult. Just about everything sold today has an
auxiliary input.

The major cost is the adapter. I found several adapters wouldn't let me use
the iPod's control wheel while attached to the adapter. This was a major
downside for in-vehicle use. The Neo Ion lets me use the Ipod controls
along with the controls on the head unit:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

Do you have transom and cockpit controls already? If so, use that as your
starting point. Or if you want to add them then make sure whatever head
unit you're considering will support them; along with a player.

If we get the Four Winns 348 Vista I'll probably consider adding an iPod
adapter. I'd greatly prefer one that allow track changing. I don't need to
see track names on a display. Just being able to skip to the next or jump
back a few tracks. The Clarion unit supposedly limits you to using just 5
playlists. Not exactly what I'm after.