Bill Kearney

Default MP3 Players/Accessories for Boat Use?

Thanks for the heads up on this option. We are replacing the cassette
player/FM radio on our boat and might as well go with the current

technology
for both CD and MP3.

Decide just how much you'd use the CD if you had the iPod. Once you rip the
CD onto the computer and transfer it to the iPod you don't have much need
for it. At least not in the boat. If anything, get a head unit (the radio)
that has a CD built into it. This would leave you without a tape deck, of
course. But much like CDs, once it's on the iPod why bother with the tapes
anymore? Then again, I'm sure there might still be a head unit that has a
tape deck in it that also supports an external CD changer along with the
iPod.

A point to consider is the external changer. If you've got one now there's
an even chance it may or may not work with a modern head unit. So while
replacing the whole shebang might be expensive, it's often a real pain in
the ass trying to mix/match old with new components.

I'd focus on whether you've already got cockpit and transom remotes for the
stereo. It's one thing to replace just the head unit and the wiring to the
changer. Replacing those remotes, however, might involve quite a bit more
labor. On a boat the labor's the killer if you've having it done.

-Bill Kearney