Tim Tim is offline

Default 1970's car advert

I would say that the attraction is the "boomers" that had them when
they were a kind in high school. Of course they were a "Dime-a-dozen"
and were "disposable. If you wadded one up, you got another etc.

But now the "kids" of the day have the big bucks and will want to find
one "just like they used to have"

And are willing to pay for it.

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEIumBf2Rg&NR

There is a sweet 1970 Malibu for sale out near the stables. Maroon,
looks like a stock, garaged car, soooooooo pretty...

Not to be a party pooper, but I've never understood the fascination with
these cars.
First of all, they are a dime a dozen. As a collectible, they really aren't
worth much.
Second, having driven several, they handle like crap, ride like crap and are
not particularly "fast".

To each their own, I suppose.

Eisboch

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:56:58 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:24:22 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

There is a car for everyone. Look at this Auto Group.

http://www.corvair.org/

It seems that I remember that there was a turbo Corvair.

Had a friend in high school who was given one on her birthday. She
loved it.

Unfortunately, her boyfriend was a Ford guy. :)

Yup, the Corvair Monza Spider.

That's it - I just asked the person who owned it. :)
Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 10, 6:43 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in messagenews:4JOdnW6CXpQEIcDanZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@comca st.com...

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEIumBf2Rg&NR
There is a sweet 1970 Malibu for sale out near the stables. Maroon,
looks like a stock, garaged car, soooooooo pretty...

Not to be a party pooper, but I've never understood the fascination with
these cars.
First of all, they are a dime a dozen. As a collectible, they really
aren't worth much.
Second, having driven several, they handle like crap, ride like crap and
are not particularly "fast".

To each their own, I suppose.

Eisboch

There is a car for everyone. Look at this Auto Group.

http://www.corvair.org/

Check out some of those beauties
http://images.google.com/images?q=co...soft:en-us&ie=...

Was a safer car than the Beetle and faster.

you sure about that, Bill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7mT...eature=related

?:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:19:04 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:09:52 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I would say that the attraction is the "boomers" that had them when
they were a kind in high school. Of course they were a "Dime-a-dozen"
and were "disposable. If you wadded one up, you got another etc.

But now the "kids" of the day have the big bucks and will want to find
one "just like they used to have"

Yup that is a special interest car. My brother in law has a 70 sumpin
Mustang the same way. It is like the one he had when he was young.
He has about $25,000 $30,000 in it and the only way he will ever get
it back is to find another guy who first got laid in a 70 sumpin
Mustang. ;-)

You don't know how true that is.

I had been thinking of selling my '70 440 GTX, all original, 18,000
some odd miles, but never pulled the trigger on it for one reason or
another.

Just for yuks, I took it to the Spring Norwich Car Show instead of the
'Vette. I wandered around the car show looking at the pickups (I
still had the '50 International L-110 at the time) then wandered back
over to where the GTX was. There was a couple standing there, going
around the car - I kept looking at the cars. Came back about a half
hour later and the same couple was standing and walking around the
car.

Walked up to them, introduced myself and heard the whole story - guy
had one in college, met his wife, married and they had to give their
GTX up when the family started arriving. My car was identical to
theirs. Didn't say a word about buying it though. I gave them a
business card and said if they wanted pictures, I'd be glad to send
them some.

Two weeks later, guy calls and asks me if I would be interested in
selling the car. I hemmed and hawed, yeah maybe.

The guy offered me three times what the car was worth - even at
auction. And it was all original - as in original.

Bye bye GTX. :) Never formed the same level of attachment to it as
I had with the 'Vette. Turns out the guy is some silicone valley type
high mucky muck and had just sold his business for umpteen zillion
dollars.

Tim Tim is offline

There was a guy coming around here occasionally who was buy up any old
Opel GT (poor mans vette) and was paying pretty good for them
regardless of shape. he was even offering finders fees for anyone who
could spot them. He was taking them and sending them right back to
Germany and you know he was making good money!

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You could trick out the Corvair engine also. Lots of the sand rails used to
use them. When I first moved into this house, young guy down the street had
a beetle that he had a 350 Chevy in the back seat. Mid engined. Only
problem was getting enough cooling air to the radiator in the VW's belly
pan.

Senior Member

On Dec 10, 5:24 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEIumBf2Rg&NR
There is a sweet 1970 Malibu for sale out near the stables. Maroon,
looks like a stock, garaged car, soooooooo pretty...

Not to be a party pooper, but I've never understood the fascination with
these cars.
First of all, they are a dime a dozen. As a collectible, they really aren't
worth much.
Second, having driven several, they handle like crap, ride like crap and are
not particularly "fast".

To each their own, I suppose.

Eisboch

There is a car for everyone. Look at this Auto Group.

http://www.corvair.org/

Check out some of those beautieshttp://images.google.com/images?q=corvair&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=...- Hide quoted text -

Me dear auntie 'ad one of those Corvairs, had push button shifter on
the dash iirc...
Tim Tim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

pan.- Hide quoted text -

I've seen that done on a corvair, where a guy had to redo the whole
thing. in the "back seat" was actually a front wheel drive 455 enging
and trans. from a 71 Olds Toronado.

wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

the dash iirc...- Hide quoted text -

I may be mistaken but I think the shifter you are thinking about was a
lever on the dash. Had a friend that had a Corvair Spider, the high
performance one!!!! Hell, I think it went 75 miles an hour or so, if
you could hold it on the road! That thing was horrible. You'd go down
the road 55 miles an our or so and it was all you could do to keep it
in your lane!

Meridian yachts, associated with Trojan, mid 1970's? [email protected] General 3 June 7th 12 04:13 AM
Rather cool boat advert. Calif Bill General 6 May 26th 06 08:12 PM
Circa 1970's Starcraft/Johnson Steering Wheel Question Johnny88 General 2 April 28th 06 11:36 PM
rivieracraft 1970's skiboat * General 0 July 4th 04 01:04 PM
West Marine advert Q General 7 July 16th 03 02:34 PM