Tim Tim is offline

Default 1970's car advert

On Dec 12, 9:42 am, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:21:03 GMT, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:16:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Maybe it was a comet.. .which one did Nader screw with, that was it I
think.. hey, I was probably 6-7 yo when I rode in that car but it was
push button, on the dash, that I remember clearly..

Corvair had a little lever on the dash. Push button automatics were a
Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth (and probably Desoto) feature.

I think Nash had one too. A friend's dad had a Metropolitan, but I
never went near it. Everybody sort of looked at it with a sense of
revulsion. Go figure. Well, it was about 1962.
My dad had a '57 Imperial, fist push-button I saw.
Hey, wait. I think a buddy's dad had a Nash that we stole a couple
times late at night. Fat Phil was his name. We would push it around
the corner before starting it. Fat Phil showed us how smart the car
was, and how indestructible, by getting it up to about 30, then
pushing the reverse button. It would suddenly slow down, make a few
harsh noises, then stop. Personally, I didn't care for those sounds.
I preferred the noise made by cutting the ignition on a big block at
speed, letting it suck some gas into the exhaust, then turning the key
back on. BLAAMM! Yeah, my friends were real punks. Me too.
In the Navy, while hitchhiking home to Chicago or to NYC from Norfolk
I caught some interesting rides. One in a Studebaker Lark with a V8,
another in an Avanti. Both were being currently produced. I never
was a car fanatic, but the Army guy going home with his wife was
really proud of his Lark, and my NYC buddy was tickled when we got a
ride in the Avanti, even more so when the owner let him drive it for a
spell.
A cabin mate of mine in the Merchant Marine had the same year/model
Aston-Martin as the one used in one of the James Bond movies, and
I drove it for a while on a Toledo-Detroit excursion. Very "touchy"
steering, but of course my normal ride then was a '64 Olds 88.
Moneywise, he had about 4 of those in the Aston-Martin engine alone.

--Vic

Didn't a certian model of Edsel have pus-hutton trans located in the
middle of the steering wheel? i know, somebody did...

Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 12, 9:42 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

Maybe it was a comet.. .which one did Nader screw with, that was it I
think.. hey, I was probably 6-7 yo when I rode in that car but it was
push button, on the dash, that I remember clearly..

More likely a Chrysler product. Others may have had pushbutton shifting....
I think the Edsel had them in the center of the steering wheel or something,
but I don't remember any others. Early overdrive transmissions often had a
switch to engage or disengage the overdrive gear.

Eisboch

Richard, you beet me to the draw. I just posted about this....
Tim Tim is offline

Early overdrive transmissions often had a
switch to engage or disengage the overdrive gear. "

When I was in grades chool, my folks had a Hudson Wasp, and it had
what seemed to be a dimmer swith under the accellorator pedal, which
kicked it out of ED.

Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 12, 10:44 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
On Dec 12, 9:16 am, wrote:
On Dec 12, 9:02 am, wrote:

On Dec 11, 10:58 pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 5:24 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 10, 2:42 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEIumBf2Rg&NR
There is a sweet 1970 Malibu for sale out near the stables. Maroon,
looks like a stock, garaged car, soooooooo pretty...
Not to be a party pooper, but I've never understood the fascination with
these cars.
First of all, they are a dime a dozen. As a collectible, they really aren't
worth much.
Second, having driven several, they handle like crap, ride like crap and are
not particularly "fast".
To each their own, I suppose.
Eisboch
There is a car for everyone. Look at this Auto Group.
http://www.corvair.org/
Check out some of those beautieshttp://images.google.com/images?q=corvair&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=...-
Me dear auntie 'ad one of those Corvairs, had push button shifter on
the dash iirc...- Hide quoted text -
I may be mistaken but I think the shifter you are thinking about was a
lever on the dash. Had a friend that had a Corvair Spider, the high
performance one!!!! Hell, I think it went 75 miles an hour or so, if
you could hold it on the road! That thing was horrible. You'd go down
the road 55 miles an our or so and it was all you could do to keep it
in your lane!- Hide quoted text -
Maybe it was a comet.. .which one did Nader screw with, that was it I
think.. hey, I was probably 6-7 yo when I rode in that car but it was
push button, on the dash, that I remember clearly..- Hide quoted text -

Nadar screwed with the Corvair. He should have, it was a piece of
crap! A lot of Dodge/Chrysler products had the push buttons. I've
owned to Valiants with slant sixes and push button trannys in my life.
Bullet proof cars! I had a "63 that when I bought it was clapped out,
but I ran that thing all over the place, always full tilt!

They were pieces of crap, but the flipping over he complained about
really wasn't their problem.- Hide quoted text -

His book, "Unsafe at any Speed"....
Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 12, 3:58 pm, HK wrote:

I think my mothers 53 Desoto had pushbuttons in the steering wheel.

I recall the buttons first appearing in the 57' DeSoto.

Didn't the '53 (like most Chrysler products) have a "cluthflite"
transmission, where you could use it as an automatic OR push a clutch
pedal to disengage it?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:15:43 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Early overdrive transmissions often had a
switch to engage or disengage the overdrive gear. "

When I was in grades chool, my folks had a Hudson Wasp, and it had
what seemed to be a dimmer swith under the accellorator pedal, which
kicked it out of ED.

I learned on a Hudson Hornet.

When I lived on the family farm, my cousin and I used to see how many
rollovers we could get out of it. :)

Meridian yachts, associated with Trojan, mid 1970's? [email protected] General 3 June 7th 12 04:13 AM
Rather cool boat advert. Calif Bill General 6 May 26th 06 08:12 PM
Circa 1970's Starcraft/Johnson Steering Wheel Question Johnny88 General 2 April 28th 06 11:36 PM
rivieracraft 1970's skiboat * General 0 July 4th 04 01:04 PM
West Marine advert Q General 7 July 16th 03 02:34 PM