Default Meridian yachts, associated with Trojan, mid 1970's?

Coming up dry at the usual wells.

It's a long shot that somebody in rec.boats might know something about
the Meridian Yacht Company in the 1970's, and the exact relationship of
this company with Trojan at the time......

But if so, I need a lead on a good reference source to validate (and
flesh out) some info for a couple of paragraphs in an article.

Anybody?

UglyDan®©™

Hi Chuck,
I'm not sure since its been so long ago but If I remember correctly,
Whittaker corporation owned Trojan yachts, and Colombia sailboats at the
same time back in the 70's. Maybe you can find a correlation between
Whittaker, Trojan and Merdian this way. I know they produced a mold for
Trawlers at the Chesapeake, Va plant back then. UD

Aha! That sounds like a good clue.

Thanks. :-)

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Coming up dry at the usual wells.

It's a long shot that somebody in rec.boats might know something about
the Meridian Yacht Company in the 1970's, and the exact relationship of
this company with Trojan at the time......

But if so, I need a lead on a good reference source to validate (and
flesh out) some info for a couple of paragraphs in an article.

Anybody?
I was an executive at Whittaker Corporation from 1975 to 1981. Although I did not specifically deal in Whittaker's boat business, I had access to all of their business materials.

I don't believe there was a "Meridian Yacht Company". The Meridian yachts were produced by Desco Marine, A Whittaker company. Desco sold Meridian yachts through brokers. There may have been a sales and marketing connection between Desco and Trojan, also a Whittaker company, but I doubt it. Trojan sold competitive boats. Whittaker also owned Bertram Yachts, Columbia, and Riva Yachts. Whittaker claimed to be the largest small boat builder in the world.