Short Wave Sportfishing Short Wave Sportfishing is offline

Default 1970's car advert

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:19:04 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:09:52 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I would say that the attraction is the "boomers" that had them when
they were a kind in high school. Of course they were a "Dime-a-dozen"
and were "disposable. If you wadded one up, you got another etc.

But now the "kids" of the day have the big bucks and will want to find
one "just like they used to have"

Yup that is a special interest car. My brother in law has a 70 sumpin
Mustang the same way. It is like the one he had when he was young.
He has about $25,000 $30,000 in it and the only way he will ever get
it back is to find another guy who first got laid in a 70 sumpin
Mustang. ;-)

You don't know how true that is.

I had been thinking of selling my '70 440 GTX, all original, 18,000
some odd miles, but never pulled the trigger on it for one reason or
another.

Just for yuks, I took it to the Spring Norwich Car Show instead of the
'Vette. I wandered around the car show looking at the pickups (I
still had the '50 International L-110 at the time) then wandered back
over to where the GTX was. There was a couple standing there, going
around the car - I kept looking at the cars. Came back about a half
hour later and the same couple was standing and walking around the
car.

Walked up to them, introduced myself and heard the whole story - guy
had one in college, met his wife, married and they had to give their
GTX up when the family started arriving. My car was identical to
theirs. Didn't say a word about buying it though. I gave them a
business card and said if they wanted pictures, I'd be glad to send
them some.

Two weeks later, guy calls and asks me if I would be interested in
selling the car. I hemmed and hawed, yeah maybe.

The guy offered me three times what the car was worth - even at
auction. And it was all original - as in original.

Bye bye GTX. :) Never formed the same level of attachment to it as
I had with the 'Vette. Turns out the guy is some silicone valley type
high mucky muck and had just sold his business for umpteen zillion
dollars.