posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Happiness is...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Why let it freewheel, a freewheeling prop generates more drag than a
stationary one?

Cheers
Marty

That's true but it's not that easy to safely stop a 30 inch prop on a
2 1/2 inch shaft from free wheeling. This topic gets a fair amount of
discussion in the trawler groups. People have tried various jerry
rigged schemes like pipe wrenches and wrapped lines on the shaft tied
off to engine mounts but neither of those schemes holds much appeal
for me, and it is very advantageous to have the idle engine quickly
available for maneuvering. Everything's a trade off. There is no
disputing the fuel save however even though it may not be fully
optimal. We arrived in Florida at 5:00AM this morning after 2 1/2
days off shore. The fuel saved by running slow speed, single engine
was in the neighborhood of 150 gallons.

The other thing we've done that has saved significant amounts of fuel
is to install high output alternators on both engines, and couple them
to the house bank with battery combiners. The saving comes from
reduced generator run time since we can now use the inverter for
routine AC needs when underway without discharging the house bank. The
reduced generator time also lowers maintenance and replacement costs.

Wayne, you have the wrong GB. :-)

(I run at 7.5 kts on a single, 120hp diesel, burning less than 2 gph)

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:56:28 -0500, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
The other issue with single engine is wear and tear on the
freewheeling transmission.

Why let it freewheel, a freewheeling prop generates more drag than a
stationary one?

Cheers
Marty

That's true but it's not that easy to safely stop a 30 inch prop on a
2 1/2 inch shaft from free wheeling. This topic gets a fair amount of
discussion in the trawler groups. People have tried various jerry
rigged schemes like pipe wrenches and wrapped lines on the shaft tied
off to engine mounts but neither of those schemes holds much appeal
for me, and it is very advantageous to have the idle engine quickly
available for maneuvering.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not familiar with something this big. I
would think that you could just leave the tranny in gear and stop the
motor, or is there sufficient torque generated to turn the motor over?

Cheers
Marty
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:17:58 -0500, HK wrote:

Jim wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:44:20 -0500, HK wrote:

I do have to ask, when you sold your 52' Hatteras, did your dick grow?

Sorry, crap-for-brains, never owned a 52' Hatteras.

Didn't you and Karl D. go partners on a big Hatt at one time? There
was something about corinthian leather seats as I recall, docked near
Jacksonville or some such.

Here's a list of the boats Harry has owned up to 2003

Hatteras 43' sportfish
Swan 41' racing/cruising sloop
Morgan 33
O'Day 30
Cruisers, Inc., Mackinac 22
Century Coronado
Bill Luders 16, as sweet a sailboat as ever caught a breeze.
Century 19' wood lapstrake with side wheel steering
Cruisers, Inc. 18' and 16' wood lapstrakes
Wolverines. Molded plywood. Gorgeous. Several. 14,15,17 footers with

various
Evinrudes
Lighting class sailboat
Botved Coronet with twin 50 hp Evinrudes. Interesting boat.
Aristocraft (a piece of junk...13', fast, held together with spit)
Alcort Sunfish
Ancarrow Marine Aquiflyer. 22' footer with two Caddy Crusaders.
Guaranteed 60
mph. In the late 1950's.
Skimmar brand skiff
Arkansas Traveler fiberglass bowrider (I think it was a bowrider)
Dyer Dhow
Su-Mark round bilge runabout, fiberglass
Penn Yan runabouts. Wood.
Old Town wood and canvas canoe
Old Town sailing canoe...different than above canoe

Hope this helps.

Almost accurate. From the O'Day 30 down, the boats were actually owned
by my father, who was a boat dealer. I had use of them, though. I got a
new boat to use every summer, and my father had a new "demo" every
summer, so I got to run lots of boats.

My favorites, the ones I still think about from time to time, include
the L16, the Wolverines, and the Penn Yans.

Most posters here probably are too young to remember the days of molded
mahogany ply outboard runabouts, especially the Wolverines. They were
just exquisite, with clipper bows, beautifully varnished wood inside and
out - the entire hull - and a planked deck. Nice round chines, and they
really seemed to fly with the outboards of the day.

The Cruisers, Inc., lapstrakes were nicely done, too, and the strakes
were bolted, not riveted, so if the boat developed a leak, you could
address it by adjusting the bolt tightness. The competing Lymans were
riveted, and your only hope was caulk. But the Lymans had prettier lines.

The Century and the Coronado were boats my dad took in on trade, and
kept at the marina until they were sold. The Century had side mounted
steering, with the tiller controlled by a rope and pulley system.

Ugliest had to be the Su-Mark. You had to be there. It was a sturdy
little fiberglass runabout, round chines, and it ran well enough, but
the decks were molded with a contrasting color to the white hull, and
the color on mine was a really pale puke green.

There also was a boat my dad "imported" out of Nova Scotia. I can't
remember what the line was called. They arrived on a big truck and I
remember that they were "unfinished." Raw plywood. The buyer finished
them himself. My father finished one up as a workboat. There was another
line of boats he got from Nova Scotia, too. These were also marine ply,
but finished properly.

I must have run a zillion boats as a kid. In addition to the slips, our
little marina had buoys for the larger boats. This was in the days when
a 25' to 30' boat was considered very large. Sometimes the owner would
call ahead and ask that his boat be at the dock, so I'd row out in a
dinghy, clip onto the bouy, and "drive" the "big boat" to the dock.
That's how I learned how to handle single-screw inboards.

The boat business was pretty friendly in those days. Three of my
father's closest friends were "competing" boat dealers in southern
Connecticut, and all the families socialized together. One of those
families is still in the family boat business in the area, or was the
last time I checked, but I don't know any of those who are running the
place. My father and the founder of that boat biz also competed against
in other in hydroplane and utility outboard races.

Life sure was simpler back then.

Sammy Davis was a great tap dancer, don't you think?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:05 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Wayne, you have the wrong GB. :-)

(I run at 7.5 kts on a single, 120hp diesel, burning less than 2 gph)

Maybe so but I can't see us out cruising for 5 and 6 months at a time
on a 36. That was our retirement model, 6 months in Florida and 6
months north on the boat. As it is, the 49 is completely loaded with
"stuff". My wife just can not understand the concept of traveling
light.

She *really* wanted a triple cabin boat, allegedly so there would be
room for grandchildren and their parents. This lead to some
interesting conversations with brokers when they'd ask how many
grandchildren we had. The answer was, and still is, zero. Both sons
got married this year however so that's a start. :-)
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:40 -0500, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not familiar with something this big. I
would think that you could just leave the tranny in gear and stop the
motor, or is there sufficient torque generated to turn the motor over?

The tranny is hydraulically actuated internally with its own pump
driven by the engine. With the engine off there is no pressure to
keep the clutches engaged. As long as the transmission is in gear
however, it is impossible to shut the engine down because of the prop
rotation being passed through. It's quite possible that there would
be enough torque to restart the engine if it did not disengage but
there is no way to find out.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:41:58 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:05 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Wayne, you have the wrong GB. :-)

(I run at 7.5 kts on a single, 120hp diesel, burning less than 2 gph)

Maybe so but I can't see us out cruising for 5 and 6 months at a time
on a 36. That was our retirement model, 6 months in Florida and 6
months north on the boat. As it is, the 49 is completely loaded with
"stuff". My wife just can not understand the concept of traveling
light.

She *really* wanted a triple cabin boat, allegedly so there would be
room for grandchildren and their parents. This lead to some
interesting conversations with brokers when they'd ask how many
grandchildren we had. The answer was, and still is, zero. Both sons
got married this year however so that's a start. :-)

Neither do I.

Frankly, I'm glad because I don't want to...

Well, never mind. :)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:20:06 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

By the way.......some years ago some sang that happiness was.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itfms556DgE

So true - so true. :)

news

Believe it or not, there was a very thin film of ice forming on top of the
water in the back basin this morning.

Sign of things to come, I am afraid.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:20:06 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

By the way.......some years ago some sang that happiness was.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itfms556DgE

So true - so true. :)

What does a song about heroin addiction have to do with Wayne?

wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not familiar with something this big. I
would think that you could just leave the tranny in gear and stop the
motor, or is there sufficient torque generated to turn the motor over?

The tranny is hydraulically actuated internally with its own pump
driven by the engine. With the engine off there is no pressure to keep
the clutches engaged. As long as the transmission is in gear however,
it is impossible to shut the engine down because of the prop rotation
being passed through. It's quite possible that there would be enough
torque to restart the engine if it did not disengage but there is no
way to find out.

I've always wondered... Why not put a feathering prop on at least one
of the shafts? Yeah, I know they're expen$ive (we have a MaxProp), but
it seems like it might be overall cheaper in the long run.

Then again, I'm not sure I've seen a 30" feathering prop. Nevermind....
MaxProp show up to 44" and some indication of a 4 blade; Autoprop shows
up to 36". Dang, I'd hate to pay their cost, but I don't much like
buying fuel or transmissions either.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD