posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Happiness is...

On 2007-11-20 15:49:16 -0500, Wayne.B said:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:40 -0500, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not familiar with something this big. I
would think that you could just leave the tranny in gear and stop the
motor, or is there sufficient torque generated to turn the motor over?

The tranny is hydraulically actuated internally with its own pump
driven by the engine. With the engine off there is no pressure to keep
the clutches engaged. As long as the transmission is in gear however,
it is impossible to shut the engine down because of the prop rotation
being passed through. It's quite possible that there would be enough
torque to restart the engine if it did not disengage but there is no
way to find out.

I've always wondered... Why not put a feathering prop on at least one
of the shafts? Yeah, I know they're expen$ive (we have a MaxProp), but
it seems like it might be overall cheaper in the long run.

Then again, I'm not sure I've seen a 30" feathering prop. Nevermind....
MaxProp show up to 44" and some indication of a 4 blade; Autoprop shows
up to 36". Dang, I'd hate to pay their cost, but I don't much like
buying fuel or transmissions either.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD