posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Happiness is...

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:22:40 -0500, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just not familiar with something this big. I
would think that you could just leave the tranny in gear and stop the
motor, or is there sufficient torque generated to turn the motor over?

The tranny is hydraulically actuated internally with its own pump
driven by the engine. With the engine off there is no pressure to
keep the clutches engaged. As long as the transmission is in gear
however, it is impossible to shut the engine down because of the prop
rotation being passed through. It's quite possible that there would
be enough torque to restart the engine if it did not disengage but
there is no way to find out.