HK HK is offline

Default Another quality boat manufacturer sells out.

Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous
line goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the
independents disappearing, since they build the best boats.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous line
goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the independents
disappearing, since they build the best boats.

When Brunswick bought Triton, they left the Triton management in place and
production has continued as before the buyout. Some "independents" that are
stapped for cash and without resources start cutting costs and turning out
inferior products. Your statement is too much of a broad brush and
inaccurate.

Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 3, 8:36 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous line
goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the independents
disappearing, since they build the best boats.

When Brunswick bought Triton, they left the Triton management in place and
production has continued as before the buyout. Some "independents" that are
stapped for cash and without resources start cutting costs and turning out
inferior products. Your statement is too much of a broad brush and
inaccurate.

Not related to boats, but sort of in the same context of the thread,
Ampeg, a guitar amplifier company, known for it's benchmark quality
was owned bySt. Louis Music company for several years, then was sold
to another firm. At the Lakland 10th aniversary bach,I talked to one
of the higher reps of Ampeg, and he told me that the new owners
guarenteed that the management would stay in place, and that the
products would still be built to the same rigid specs as before. Now
Ampeg has been sold again,a nd looks like it's going to be a different
game.

"Rumor" is that the Ampeg line will be shipped to Vietnam, and Lord
knows whats going to happen, because the new owners are wanting to
play the price/profit game.

pity

HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:36 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

I saw a beautiful old Gretsch f-hole electric hanging in the window of a
music store today. Almost went inside for a look-see, but I was carrying
four gallons of paint in buckets, and I thought my hands would protest
mightily if I put the load down and then picked it up again.

On Nov 3, 4:29?pm, HK wrote:
Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous
line goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the
independents disappearing, since they build the best boats.

Where have you been, Harry?

Brunswick has owned Albermarle for quite while now. Basically, they
are built by the same group that makes Hatteras. Many of the upper
tier
trademarks built by Brunswick are pretty darn good boats. Sometimes
people make the mistake of looking at the cheapest entry level product
a corporation builds and then presuming that no matter what point they
buy into the product line or what trademark they get the quality will
be no better than the least expensive, entry level "leader" item the
corporation builds.

That's the same logic that's in place when a guy says, "I saw the
Chevrolet AVEO and wasn't at all impressed, so I won't waste any time
looking at the Cadillac CTS- after all both cars are built by the same
company so the Cadillac won't be any better than the AVEO.

The $9995 boat-motor-trailer combo doesn't represent the entire
Brunswick line......far from it.

HK HK is offline

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Nov 3, 4:29?pm, HK wrote:
Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous
line goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the
independents disappearing, since they build the best boats.

Where have you been, Harry?

Brunswick has owned Albermarle for quite while now. Basically, they
are built by the same group that makes Hatteras. Many of the upper
tier
trademarks built by Brunswick are pretty darn good boats.

I'm sure they were better boats when the companies that built them were
independent. The newest model Albemarle, for example, is wider and with
less deadrise than the model it will be replacing. That's corporate
conglomerate think for you...take a line of fishing boats and turn them
into something less.

"HK" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:36 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Irrelevant to this subject.

"Tim" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 3, 8:36 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Great. I'd just talked myself out of upgrading my amp head and waiting until
finances were in better shape. Now, you've confused the issue. :-)

HK HK is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:36 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Yes, I've often noted how important relevancy is in rec.boats.

On Nov 4, 4:30?am, HK wrote:
Chuck Gould wrote:
On Nov 3, 4:29?pm, HK wrote:
Just read that Albemarle was bought out by Brunswick. Another famous
line goes in the crapper. Cabo was sold last year. Sad to see the
independents disappearing, since they build the best boats.

Where have you been, Harry?

Brunswick has owned Albermarle for quite while now. Basically, they
are built by the same group that makes Hatteras. Many of the upper
tier
trademarks built by Brunswick are pretty darn good boats.

I'm sure they were better boats when the companies that built them were
independent. The newest model Albemarle, for example, is wider and with
less deadrise than the model it will be replacing. That's corporate
conglomerate think for you...take a line of fishing boats and turn them
into something less.

Why would every boat in succession always have to be narrower and with
a deeper V than previous models? Perhaps the new model is intended for
slightly different conditions. Is it possible that the same changes
that make the boat less "fishable" in your estimation might make it
better suited for cruising and exploring or some other purpose?
Albemarle builds boats that range up to 40-soome feet in length, and
not all are intended exclusively for use by the weekend or retired
fisherman. It may be that in order to increase total overall appeal
and sales of the new model Albemarle decided to make it slightly less
specialized......don't know this for a fact, simply stating a
possibility.

To build a good case for a decline in quality I think it takes a lot
more than the appearance of a new hull design with different
characteristics.
Why not check out one of the new boats in person and see if fit,
finish,
hardware, workmanship aren't still up to traditional standards? I'll
be getting underway on one of their new boats, just over 30-feet LOA,
in the next week or so. The brand doesn't have the long history in
this region that it enjoys back on the east coast, so I can't say that
I will be able to compare it knowledgeably with the pre-2005
produciton- but a pretty thorough at-the-dock examination of one of
the current boats a few months ago revealed no glaring defects or
cheap-cut aspects- I thought the boat was pretty impressive overall
and I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn even more about
it.

(The "Hatteras Collection" includes Hatteras, Cabo, and Albemarle. The
Harrell family sold to Brunswick in 2005).

Boat Equipment -- Quality is Poor [email protected] Cruising 7 November 22nd 05 01:24 PM
Boat Quality/Opinion Sources Wklkj General 1 January 26th 04 02:48 PM
Boat Quality.... Bobsprit ASA 18 October 30th 03 10:24 PM
Bombardier sells rec vehicle business Larry W4CSC General 25 September 1st 03 10:14 PM
Icelander Manufacturer Gordon Jago UK Power Boats 0 July 29th 03 05:52 PM