Bobsprit

Default Boat Quality....

From worst to best....honest and no punches pulled

Siedelmann 30...no doubt the worst boat in our midst. Zero market value.
Coronado 27...as horribly dated as it is cheap. Zero market value.
Beneteau F. Series....plagued by quality control issues, but a quick boat at
least.
Cal 20....Old but timeless little sailing boat.
Kirie Elite 32....A nice quality leap from the Beneteau
Express 30....dated racer with suspect fit and finish. Good quality boat
overall.
C&C 27...Lacks the charm of older models, but good quality day sailor.
C&C 32....Dated, but good quality from C&C when they were a top builder.
Island Packet 31....Terribly slow boat, but we're talking build quality...nice.
Gulf 29....Very well built effort from Capital, based on the 32 I sailed.
Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent builder.
Nordic 30...Heavily constructed with a good turn of speed for a full keel

Capt RB
Jeff Morris

"Bobsprit" wrote in message news:20031029071358.22546.00000354@mb-
Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent builder.

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats, Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate (actually the
article focuses more on the 42)

The preceeding a paid announcement.

Bobsprit

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Ahhh, yes...Simply couldn't remember at the moment. A fine boat. I'd say even a
single hull is better than a whole Beneteau.
But then I don't want to start anything!

Capt RB
felton

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:56:26 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

"Bobsprit" wrote in message news:20031029071358.22546.00000354@mb-
Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent builder.

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats, Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate (actually the
article focuses more on the 42)

The preceeding a paid announcement.

Wasn't Beneteau included in Volume I? I enjoy reading those books,
but I always wondered about that...I made the mistake of loaning my
copy to someone who promptly disappeared with it, so I am working from
memory.

Jeff Morris

Yes, Beneteau was listed in Vol 1, and J-boats in Vol 2. Curiously, C&C isn't in either.
The last time this came up it was claimed that Mate demanded a payoff from the company to
be included - I can neither confirm nor deny that possibility. Although Mate emphasizes
fit and finish, he also rewards innovation and advances in technology.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0920...36#reader-page

"felton" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:56:26 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

"Bobsprit" wrote in message news:20031029071358.22546.00000354@mb-
Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent builder.

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats, Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate (actually the
article focuses more on the 42)

The preceeding a paid announcement.

Wasn't Beneteau included in Volume I? I enjoy reading those books,
but I always wondered about that...I made the mistake of loaning my
copy to someone who promptly disappeared with it, so I am working from
memory.

Pony Express

Isn't that the book in which he will only list you
if you help sponsor the book?
--
----
Steve

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote
in message
:
: Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com
:
: Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats,
Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate (actually the
: article focuses more on the 42)
:
: The preceeding a paid announcement.
:
:

felton

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:23:38 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Yes, Beneteau was listed in Vol 1, and J-boats in Vol 2. Curiously, C&C isn't in either.
The last time this came up it was claimed that Mate demanded a payoff from the company to
be included - I can neither confirm nor deny that possibility. Although Mate emphasizes
fit and finish, he also rewards innovation and advances in technology.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0920...36#reader-page

I have heard the "payoff" story directly from a boatbuilder. The
number was $50,000 to be included in the book. Pretty nice work if
you can get it I don't know if this was in effect for Vol 1. It
would be hard to argue with any of the choices in Vol 1, although the
inclusion of Beneteau just seemed odd. If I am remembering correctly,
he seemed to be most impressed with their efficient production
methods, rather than the beauty of quality of the boats. Let's face
it, no matter how you compare them, a Beneteau isn't a Hinckley, Alden
or Shannon.

I like Mate's writing style and have several of his books, but the old
payola issue hurts his credibility, though probably makes his living
in Italy more enjoyable

"felton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:56:26 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

"Bobsprit" wrote in message news:20031029071358.22546.00000354@mb-
Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent builder.

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats, Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate (actually the
article focuses more on the 42)

The preceeding a paid announcement.

Wasn't Beneteau included in Volume I? I enjoy reading those books,
but I always wondered about that...I made the mistake of loaning my
copy to someone who promptly disappeared with it, so I am working from
memory.

Simple Simon

What's PDQ stand for?

Pretty Darned Queer. Primarily Designed for Queens,
Pretty Darned Questionable, Personally Designated for
Quacks, or Pathetic Dilatory Quid?

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Jeff's boat...can't remember the name, but they are an excellent

builder.

Its a PDQ 36, from PDQ Yachts www.pdqyachts.com

Chosen as one of "The World's Best Sailboats, Volume 2" by Ferenc Mate

(actually the
article focuses more on the 42)

The preceeding a paid announcement.

Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM