Dan Dan is offline

Default BOWRIDERS- Pro's and cons

HK wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
I thought you were the Harry that spent his entire life in and around
boats.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
jamesgangnc wrote:
I think pretty much any serious open water center console has a
larger freeboard in the front as compared to a traditional
bowrider. But then you know that, you're just looking to start an
argument.

"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 05:28:59 -0400, HK
wrote:

It's not the lack of a foredeck that makes a boat "less suitable"
for rough water.
Lack of a foredeck combined with low freeboard at the bow makes it
very easy to scoop up a wave and bring it onboard. Low freeboard
forward is the big difference between a typical bowrider and a center
console.

To me, that makes a boat less suitable for rough water.
A good number of manufacturers of center console boats use the same
hulls to turn out bow riders.

Sorry, bub, but I don't do much boating on inland lakes. The
bowriders I see for the most part are the ones based upon center
console hulls, as are the "dual console" boats that offer the forward
"amenities" of bowriders.

My favorite bowrider is the Grady-White 27-footer. Same hull as the
center console and cabin models. Great-looking boat.

The problem with most bowriders is the ride...if you are in any sort
of choppy water, the bow is the worst place to be.

For for fishing, I prefer flat, open space in the bow:

http://tinyurl.com/355t8c

Very little lake boating. LI Sound, ICW and Ocean in Florida, various
other oceans, Chesapeake Bay. I frequented Lake Zoar when I was a kid,
though. Put in the boat right near the dam.

I'd love to hear about those "various other oceans". This guy is amazing!