posted to alt.sailing

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

"Matt Colie" wrote...

I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when I Kayak, so, I'm wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) .

Absolutely NOT!!!

Are saying that the .38 will not be heard or that it is not big enough?

Not big enough. My favorite is a Mossberg 500 Mariner, though it might be
awkward in an inflatable...

I had heard of gun punts, but I was not aware of a surviving example.

This is why all of my handguns are stainless.

S&W 686, S&W 569, M500 Mariner... :-)

posted to alt.sailing

'The gun punt Maalesh II was built in 1939.
Gun punts were designed for hunting wildfowl in shallow water,
mud, and reed beds. Both paddles and sails were fitted.
The large gun was fired by pull-cord after aiming, and
its recoil would push the boat backward at significant speed.
'

REPLY: John.... BOY, that is one mean lookin' gun ! Dang...its
nearly the length of my kayak . Id be afraid of the recoil knocking me
overboard . Matt .... I dont think id take aim at anothers Boat
UNLESS he was purposely trying to do me in ... and then id have to be
very certain about it such as him circling around for another strike.
If i get into a scenario where a Boat is coming and he doesnt see me in
my kayak, I think i shall immediatly unclip my Life Jacket and dive
deep . A couple years ago on a lake nearby , the Mayor of a small
town was in the water swimming in the middle of the lake and went
underwater for a bit ; when he came to the surface , his head hit the
spinning propeller of a Boat that was passing over him right at that
moment. Killed him instantly and not a pretty sight im sure.

Hope i have far better luck in my sitting-duck Kayak.

Dave

posted to alt.sailing
Hal Hal is offline

On Sep 10, 1:46 pm, (Dave in Lake Villa)
wrote:
Thank you Matt and John. I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when i Kayak, so, im wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) . My Kayak
Paddles are black so, ill add the reflective tape as suggested. Dave.

OH BOY
Big Man with a Gun
You REALLY are a ****ing idiot

Try a flare, ya paranoid nitwit
Hal

posted to alt.sailing

Thank you Matt and John. * I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when i Kayak, so, * im wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) * . My Kayak
Paddles are black so, ill add the reflective tape as suggested. Dave.

"OH BOY
Big Man with a Gun
You REALLY are a ****ing idiot
Try a flare, ya paranoid nitwit
Hal"

REPLY: Its uncivil folks like yourself Hal that there are Laws which
allow people to arm themselves ; you never know when a person who has
an anger problem will suddenly escalate into full blown Wacko and take
his anger out on you. I dont play the 'Big Man with a Gun' stereotype
--- but i have no reservation about having protection given this culture
of lowlifes. Regards.

posted to alt.sailing
Hal Hal is offline

On Sep 12, 6:14 pm, (Dave in Lake Villa)
wrote:
Thank you Matt and John. I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when i Kayak, so, im wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) . My Kayak
Paddles are black so, ill add the reflective tape as suggested. Dave.

"OH BOY
Big Man with a Gun
You REALLY are a ****ing idiot
Try a flare, ya paranoid nitwit
Hal"

REPLY: Its uncivil folks like yourself Hal that there are Laws which
allow people to arm themselves ; you never know when a person who has
an anger problem will suddenly escalate into full blown Wacko and take
his anger out on you. I dont play the 'Big Man with a Gun' stereotype
--- but i have no reservation about having protection given this culture
of lowlifes. Regards.

And it's because of gun toting paranoid whack jobs like you that there
are Laws passed making permits to carry concealable weapons difficult
to obtain.
I can just see you before some local judge saying that you don't need
to obey a state's laws because you only obey a higher authority.
Be sure to mention that to Bruno Buggerman, your cell mate.

Remenber that local cops love to trounce on out of state vehicles.
They may even want to search it (and you) for contraband

Hal, who has very little regard 4U

posted to alt.sailing

Hal wrote:

And it's because of gun toting paranoid whack jobs like you that there
are Laws passed making permits to carry concealable weapons difficult
to obtain.
I can just see you before some local judge saying that you don't need
to obey a state's laws because you only obey a higher authority.
Be sure to mention that to Bruno Buggerman, your cell mate.

Remenber that local cops love to trounce on out of state vehicles.
They may even want to search it (and you) for contraband

Hal, who has very little regard 4U

Hal(9000?)

The amount you know about the situation of which you write is truly
awesome.

Did you ever try to get the attention of a small boat operator?

Excuse me please, but I fail to see what a kayaker trying to protect his
life has to do with what might be contraband in other states.

That you are one of the problems that those of us that would like to
peacefully share the water have on a regular basis is what I am
beginning to understand by you statements. You probably have a 16ft
Clorox bottle with way too much engine and can not understand why he
should not be allowed to do what he wishes when he wishes with little
regard for the safety of other persons.

Sorry to make your acquaintance.

Matt Colie - Lifelong Waterman and Licensed (as in USCG) Mariner

posted to alt.sailing
Red Red is offline

Dave in Lake Villa wrote thusly:
.... I dont think id take aim at anothers Boat
UNLESS he was purposely trying to do me in ... and then id have to be
very certain about it such as him circling around for another strike.
If i get into a scenario where a Boat is coming and he doesnt see me in
my kayak, I think i shall immediatly unclip my Life Jacket and dive
deep .

Some (many) years ago when I lived in Key West I was driving by the
harbor when I spotted a speedboat rounding up and heading right for a
big old wooden cruising powerboat. The owner of the cruiser had just
come up from working on the engine and bent back to reach for his beer
when the speedboat launched into the side of his boat - sliding right
past the cruising boat's owner by what looked like an inch. The
speedboat went clean thru the side of the wooden boat up under the
gunwhale and came to rest in the cockpit completely out of the water.
The guy in the speedboat just sat there dumbfounded. The owner of the
wood boat looked like he just saw God. He kept looking at the beer in
his hand, then at the speedboat up against his belly, then back at the
beer... Reaching for that beer saved that guy's life.
A few of us stopped to help pull the boat over to the seawall and hold
it there until the cops came. Took a bunch of pics, wish I could post
them but they are in film.
Red
posted to alt.sailing
Hal Hal is offline

On Sep 14, 8:26 am, Matt Colie wrote:

That you are one of the problems that those of us that would like to
peacefully share the water have on a regular basis is what I am
beginning to understand by you statements. You probably have a 16ft
Clorox bottle with way too much engine and can not understand why he
should not be allowed to do what he wishes when he wishes with little
regard for the safety of other persons.

Sorry to make your acquaintance.

Matt Colie - Lifelong Waterman and Licensed (as in USCG) Mariner

(Who give a S**T!)

"little regard for the safety of other persons", you say?
But, of course, you would NEVER consider yourself a complete numbskull
for advocating taking random pot shots at other boaters to whom you're
taken a dislike.

Another POS "Big Man with a Gun" with the "I'm so much better than
everyone" attitude, just like the original paranoid whack job here,
DILV

Hal

posted to alt.sailing

Hal wrote:
[...]

I suppose I should thank you for presenting my case, but you so
obviously don't understand the situation at all that it is a completely
lost cause and you will miss the point yet again.

Thank You for demonstrating exactly the level of personal responsibility
and consideration that makes the situation what it is.

You could not have read the thread or you would not be writing as you
are. You are trying to defend the individuals either trying to kill
another person on the water just because he has a small quiet boat or is
just to stinking drunk to even understand the damage he is about to do.
Possibly, I should post a review of the thread and highlight just how
stupid your remarks and responses have actually been, but again, I am so
sure that the actual case would be lost to you.

Come back and discuss more this after you have spent a day either as
first responder at one of these incidents or maybe just one pleasant
afternoon as a member of the recovery team diving in search of the
bodies of the victims of a boater such as you seem to support.

There has never been anyplace that I have been where there was effective
law enforcement on the water. Please don't tell me to leave it to them.
That will start another set of really dreadful stories I have
accumulated in years of cleaning up after people such as yourself.

Thank you your opinion.

Matt Colie
posted to alt.sailing

Matt Colie wrote:

Hal wrote:

much snippage

There has never been anyplace that I have been where there was effective
law enforcement on the water. Please don't tell me to leave it to them.
That will start another set of really dreadful stories I have
accumulated in years of cleaning up after people such as yourself.

Thank you your opinion.

Have you followed the Clearlake incidence in California? Latitude 38 has
been good in their coverage and presentation of the two sides. Most of
it seems to be in the form of letters to the editor, the following
http://www.latitude38.com/letters/200708.html
about 1/3 of the way down is the pertinent letter/response.

I mention it to illustrate what I see as a certain level of bias on the
part of authorities. For instance eye witnesses were told their
testimony was not needed. This included at least two people that one saw
the sailboats running lights on and another who said the saloon lights
were on. This is apparently an effort to support the Deputy's version of
events where he says the boat was unlit.

While I don't agree with Hal's reaction to your going armed, you might
want to think about it since there is a presumed guilty against you by a
large segment of the population if you are armed. Yes there are Yahoos
that would think it funny to try and swamp you with their wake or
otherwise ruin your boating experience. Thing is they succeed in
drowning you, the presence of a gun on your carcase would just make
people think "He was probably a crack dealer" or something equivalent.

There are laws against brandishing a gun so the ability to do what you
think you can do is dubious. That is, jail time for you vs. a ticket for
the person who precipitated the incident. Unless you are in your own
home, you may have the "duty to retreat" in your state. This means if
someone is harassing you, you have to leave the area. I'm as serious as
a broken leg about this, you have to leave or you will be charged with a
crime.

Carry a camera, flare gun, and pepper spray. If you are in an area that
doesn't allow excessive wakes or speed, the sight of a camera taking
their picture should be enough to deter knucleheads. If you do carry a
gun, don't bring it out unless someone is threatening you with deadly
force.