posted to alt.sailing
Red Red is offline

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

Dave in Lake Villa wrote thusly:
.... I dont think id take aim at anothers Boat
UNLESS he was purposely trying to do me in ... and then id have to be
very certain about it such as him circling around for another strike.
If i get into a scenario where a Boat is coming and he doesnt see me in
my kayak, I think i shall immediatly unclip my Life Jacket and dive
deep .

Some (many) years ago when I lived in Key West I was driving by the
harbor when I spotted a speedboat rounding up and heading right for a
big old wooden cruising powerboat. The owner of the cruiser had just
come up from working on the engine and bent back to reach for his beer
when the speedboat launched into the side of his boat - sliding right
past the cruising boat's owner by what looked like an inch. The
speedboat went clean thru the side of the wooden boat up under the
gunwhale and came to rest in the cockpit completely out of the water.
The guy in the speedboat just sat there dumbfounded. The owner of the
wood boat looked like he just saw God. He kept looking at the beer in
his hand, then at the speedboat up against his belly, then back at the
beer... Reaching for that beer saved that guy's life.
A few of us stopped to help pull the boat over to the seawall and hold
it there until the cops came. Took a bunch of pics, wish I could post
them but they are in film.
Red