posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Marine Diesel Prices are Outrageous

The cost of marine diesel for your boat is outrageous these days. I am all
for businesses making an honest buck and I am all for

http://www.billharder.com/boating/39...are-outrageous

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Verizon News wrote:
The cost of marine diesel for your boat is outrageous these days. I am all
for businesses making an honest buck and I am all for

http://www.billharder.com/boating/39...are-outrageous

Here's a suggestion.

Next time there is a national election, work to defeat GOP oil whore
candidates like Bush and Cheney, who hold secret meetings with the
petrol industry to establish a "national energy policy" aimed at
enriching big oil at the expense of everyone else. Work to elect
populist candidates who will work to moderate rapacious corporations and
who will not be afraid to impose excess profits taxes on those screwing
the public.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Verizon News wrote:
The cost of marine diesel for your boat is outrageous these days. I am
all for businesses making an honest buck and I am all for

http://www.billharder.com/boating/39...are-outrageous

Here's a suggestion.

Next time there is a national election, work to defeat GOP oil whore
candidates like Bush and Cheney, who hold secret meetings with the petrol
industry to establish a "national energy policy" aimed at enriching big
oil at the expense of everyone else. Work to elect populist candidates who
will work to moderate rapacious corporations and who will not be afraid to
impose excess profits taxes on those screwing the public.

ROTF. For a minute there I thought you were serious.

HK wrote:

Here's a suggestion.

Next time there is a national election, work to defeat GOP oil whore
candidates like Bush and Cheney, who hold secret meetings with the
petrol industry to establish a "national energy policy" aimed at
enriching big oil at the expense of everyone else. Work to elect
populist candidates who will work to moderate rapacious corporations and
who will not be afraid to impose excess profits taxes on those screwing
the public.

Truly they are demons from Hell set upon us by Satan to oppress the
honest working man whose wife can't stand heeling over - and nobody
else! These demons don't even know the difference between the petroleum
industry and the petrol industry because on their way up from Hell they
passed through London.

If only Algore were president then we'd have free petrol, the children
would all be strong and straight, flowers would bloom in all seasons,
the honeybees would offer us free honey, spiders would sing the national
anthem, al Queda would decide to quit their mischiefs and instead become
florists....

why oh why did the demons have to visit upon us at this otherwise
wonderful era? The world wonders.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:57:40 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:
snnnip
you do know you're retarded yes?
kinda like a lucid dream...but it's not

"Verizon News" wrote in message
The cost of marine diesel for your boat is outrageous these days. I am
all for businesses making an honest buck and I am all for

http://www.billharder.com/boating/39...are-outrageous

Anybody who buys a trawler deserves to pay out the ass for his fuel.
Those trawlers are ugly, smelly, noisy and make about as much sense on
the water as driving a semi tractor on the road for your road trip
vacations.

I have no sympathy for anybody who runs a diesel engine for recreational
purposes. Don't you realize how much pollution a marine diesel engine
produces? It's totally selfish and irresponsible. Anybody running a
marine diesel for recreational purposes is sick in my opinion. No regard
whatsoever for clean air and a clean marine environment. When somebody's
'fun' takes precedence over my rights (to a clean environment) then I
cannot excuse such hedonism.

I wish they'd jack the price of recreational marine diesel up to about
fifty bucks a gallon. Maybe people would be forced to buy
environmentally friendly sailboats that use small, clean-air, 4-stroke,
gasoline outboards when needed but use sails most of the time. When
your 'cruising' is a blatant act of pollution and you don't even realize
it then you're just clueless and nobody I want to associate with....

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:18:48 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[...]

Wilber old buddy, your ideas have some validity when applied to a
skiff but don't work so well when you are talking about a 40 ft. 7 ton
sailboat. In addition, if you ever start really cruising you will
discover that sometimes the wind just doesn't blow and after you have
been becalmed for a few days in the S. China Sea, as a buddy of mine
just did, you'll probably want to start motoring toward somewhere you
think you might be able to buy some grub and your little outboard just
isn't going to cut it.

By the way, if your theory about motor boats was really correct the
world's ocean freight would still be carried on sailing ships.....

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

[...]

I made the distinction quite clear with regards to 'recreational' use of
marine diesel engines. Just like truck freight over the road depends of
big diesel rigs so does freight over the oceans. In my opinion, it is an
acceptable compromise to use diesel engines for commerce although I
would like to see emission standards tightened up.

But, when it comes to recreational use of diesel engines in boats I find
this to be totally unacceptable. The typical marine recreational diesel
meets NO emission standards that I know of. They are often old,
decrepit, in ill-repair and in need of an overhaul. Visible smoke is
more the rule than the exception. The stench of them is enough to sicken
even the crew. And people continue to use them for recreational
purposes. In other words, strictly for selfish reasons - their 'fun.'

I find this appalling. That people would knowingly pollute the air and
water during any 'optional' activity tells me these people have no
regard for anybody but their own selfish selves. If they were
responsible human beings they would use an engine that meets or exceeds
current emission standards. That means a late-model gasoline engine. And
don't tell me no such engines exist for marine use. The choice of a
diesel engine is the wrong choice when looked at from the environmental
standpoint.

One other thing, if one can't abide being becalmed from time to time
then don't take up sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

I find this appalling. That people would knowingly pollute the air and
water during any 'optional' activity tells me these people have no
regard for anybody but their own selfish selves. If they were
responsible human beings they would use an engine that meets or exceeds
current emission standards. That means a late-model gasoline engine. And
don't tell me no such engines exist for marine use. The choice of a
diesel engine is the wrong choice when looked at from the environmental
standpoint.

One other thing, if one can't abide being becalmed from time to time
then don't take up sailing.

There are unresolved safety issues with gasoline engines. You can very
well say that sailing with a petrol engine is irresponsible because you
can blow yourself, your family and others near you up. Also consider
that if a tank of gasoline blows up, there are no pollution controls on
that.

I'm in agreement that diesel engines are disgusting polluters, but they
are all we have in marine life. We can either use them or use nothing,
IMO. I won't sail with petrol engines due to the safety issue. I have
twice been personal witness to yachts exploding due to petrol fumes -
both times with deaths.

Also the least of my problems when sailing is becoming becalmed. I need
my axillary to safely maneuver in tight places to assure safety to
others in the area. I may need it to claw off a lee shore and in fact have.

Yes, the old timers used sail only and there are wrecks on those lee
shores to prove it. I don't want to join them.

Now, instead of railing against we who see things differently from you,
if you choose to lobby for pollution controls on all diesels, then we
can form common cause. Else, sail away.

Paul Cassel wrote:

Now, instead of railing against we who see things differently from you,
if you choose to lobby for pollution controls on all diesels, then we
can form common cause. Else, sail away.

Nice try, and well stated, Paul.

But that's all this Wilbur guy does.

Richard

Nice marine scene artwork, decent prices JohnH General 0 January 29th 06 01:41 PM
Diesel prices in S. California? Old Boat Goat General 2 October 12th 05 02:21 AM
Toronto's marine Gas & Dissel prices Dubon General 0 August 8th 05 09:11 PM
Diesel Prices Mike General 2 March 20th 04 03:32 AM
Record Fuel Oil Prices - Waste Marine! Larry W4CSC Cruising 32 December 13th 03 01:41 AM