posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Marine Diesel Prices are Outrageous

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

I find this appalling. That people would knowingly pollute the air and
water during any 'optional' activity tells me these people have no
regard for anybody but their own selfish selves. If they were
responsible human beings they would use an engine that meets or exceeds
current emission standards. That means a late-model gasoline engine. And
don't tell me no such engines exist for marine use. The choice of a
diesel engine is the wrong choice when looked at from the environmental
standpoint.

One other thing, if one can't abide being becalmed from time to time
then don't take up sailing.

There are unresolved safety issues with gasoline engines. You can very
well say that sailing with a petrol engine is irresponsible because you
can blow yourself, your family and others near you up. Also consider
that if a tank of gasoline blows up, there are no pollution controls on
that.

I'm in agreement that diesel engines are disgusting polluters, but they
are all we have in marine life. We can either use them or use nothing,
IMO. I won't sail with petrol engines due to the safety issue. I have
twice been personal witness to yachts exploding due to petrol fumes -
both times with deaths.

Also the least of my problems when sailing is becoming becalmed. I need
my axillary to safely maneuver in tight places to assure safety to
others in the area. I may need it to claw off a lee shore and in fact have.

Yes, the old timers used sail only and there are wrecks on those lee
shores to prove it. I don't want to join them.

Now, instead of railing against we who see things differently from you,
if you choose to lobby for pollution controls on all diesels, then we
can form common cause. Else, sail away.