Default Gas prices and power boating

Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

On 29 Apr 2007 06:06:49 -0700, wf3h wrote:

Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

That's a good point. Personally, I think last year the market tested
$3/g and pretty quickly backed off that because demand dropped
significantly.

They are certainly going to try it again this year, but I can't see it
moving up much past $3/g again without demand dropping. After the 75%
runup over the past two years (with Katrina being the excuse), the
average joe on the street isn't going to have much left over after
going to work and paying for food, the mortgage and other expenses.

It's interesting that some in the professional services industries,
like orthodontic dentists, dentists and even doctors are seeing a
decrease in their gross incomes because the average schmoe can't
afford a co-pay even. Trades people are even feeling it because their
prices have had to increase due to energy and compensation insurance
increases.

You have to remember that the real rate of inflation this year
(including food/energy/services) is about 13% and it could go higher.
That alone is certainly going to impact boating, never mind fuel
costs.

And now, speaking of boating, I'm done and gone. Gonig out to get
some drive time on a twin diesel Topaz. Gotta learn the ins and outs
of this twin inboard stuff if I'm going to buy Eisboch's Navigator.
:) [1]

WHOO HOO!!!

[1] Not that I'm going to buy Eisboch's Navigator, but in this life
and with me in charge, you never know. :)

wf3h wrote:
Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

It ought to, and maybe it will lead to a downsizing in boats. Some of
the best fun I've ever had in boats has been in small boats with small
engines, and in small sailboats. Screw the oil companies and their
partners in crime in the Gulf States.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
wf3h wrote:
Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

It ought to, and maybe it will lead to a downsizing in boats. Some of the
best fun I've ever had in boats has been in small boats with small
engines, and in small sailboats. Screw the oil companies and their
partners in crime in the Gulf States.

Yes..if all the citizens of the western world (especially the US) would
think like that, we'd have half a chance with those %^$%^ oil barons.

Harry Krause wrote:
wf3h wrote:
Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

It ought to, and maybe it will lead to a downsizing in boats. Some of
the best fun I've ever had in boats has been in small boats with small
engines, and in small sailboats. Screw the oil companies and their
partners in crime in the Gulf States.

Does Yo-Ho and your lobster boat have small engines or qualify as a
small boats?

On Apr 29, 6:06?am, wf3h wrote:
Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

http://www.marinemax.com/investor/

People will just "stop boating" at different rates. It's apparent that
some already have, or are delaying the initial purchase or trade-up
from a present vessel. Reluctance of new participants to get into
boating, due to fuel prices or
other concerns, hampers the resale market and inhibits the ability of
current owners to upgrade.

Down thread, somebody comments about the market returning to smaller
boats. I'm not sure that will be the result of this third straight
year of gas gouging. From what I can see, the small boat builders are
hurting even worse than the yacht manufacturers. Launching a trailer
boat requires a big truck, preferably 4WD in a lot of situations. That
can be a $40-50,000 proposition, or more, in the current market and
since most folks won't have the luxury of owning a vehicle for no
purpose other than launching a boat the fuel costs associated with a
two vehicle are a concern seven days a week, not just on Saturday or
Sunday when the boat gets wet.

Wally Lunchbucket was never going to buy a $250,000 boat, but the
Wally's buy a lot of boats in the $35-100,000 category and often
budget very carefully to make the monthly payments. The vast majority
of people are "payment buyers", and make decisions whether to buy or
not buy a major item based less on the price than on whether the
monthly payment is affordable.

The average citizen considers petroleum products almost as essential
as food or shelter. What else would most of us continue to buy if the
price shot up 50% in 90 days? Darn little, IMO. When the price of this
essential commodity goes through the roof, the money to buy it has to
come from somewhere. Unfortunately, it will frequently come from folks
cutting way back on their boating or choosing not to become boaters in
the first place.

IMO, take a careful look around. We're in the middle of an important
shift in recreational norms in the Western world that will render high
fuel consuming
items obsolete.

The guys in the big boats? They can afford the fuel.

BAR BAR is offline

Harry Krause wrote:
wf3h wrote:
Some folks are speculating that gas can hit $4/gallon this year. Fuel
dock prices could shoot above $5. Any idea at what point people will
just stop boating? This is a form of the 'luxury' tax a few years ago
that collapsed the yacht makers. why WOULDN'T gas prices have the same
effect?

It ought to, and maybe it will lead to a downsizing in boats. Some of
the best fun I've ever had in boats has been in small boats with small
engines, and in small sailboats. Screw the oil companies and their
partners in crime in the Gulf States.

Does this mean you are selling the 36' Zimmerman like Lobsta' boat?

On 29 Apr 2007 08:39:57 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Wally Lunchbucket was never going to buy a $250,000 boat, but the
Wally's buy a lot of boats in the $35-100,000 category and often
budget very carefully to make the monthly payments. The vast majority
of people are "payment buyers", and make decisions whether to buy or
not buy a major item based less on the price than on whether the
monthly payment is affordable.

Interesting. Maybe because I only spent about half a year on the west
coast I never met a Wally Lunchbucket.
Around here I know plenty of guys called Joe Sixpack.
Ever heard of him?

--Vic

Chuck Gould wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:06?am, wf3h wrote:
[...]

You don't need a $50,000 truck to haul around many 18-21' boats. I towed
a nice 19-footer with a small V6 Ford truck, and there are plenty of
smaller boats available.

wrote:
Wally Lunchbucket was never going to buy a $250,000 boat, but the
Wally's buy a lot of boats in the $35-100,000 category and often
budget very carefully to make the monthly payments. The vast majority
of people are "payment buyers", and make decisions whether to buy or
not buy a major item based less on the price than on whether the
monthly payment is affordable.

Interesting. *Maybe because I only spent about half a year on the west
coast I never met a Wally Lunchbucket.
Around here I know plenty of guys called Joe Sixpack.
Ever heard of him?

--Vic

Joe is Wally's kissin' cousin. 'Cept of course Joe and Wally don't
kiss- at least not in public unless they're in San Francisco or
Seattle. :-)

Wally's brothers, Joe and Johnny Lunchbucket are probably mentioned
more frequently than Wally. Disheartening news is that with fuel dock
prices already in the $4.50 range and headed for $5, none of the
Lunchbucket brothers will be racing out to buy a new boat anytime
soon. That impacts everybody who owns a boat and hopes to sell it
someday as well as all of the folks who sell new or used boats for a
living.