Peggie Hall

Default How do I get a hose on a fitting?

Don White wrote:
Ouch again!
Peggy...you are BAD!

I had better stay on your good side.

I wouldn't have any fun if you did!

TheMirage 33 I crew on is also having a
problem with a head that was replaced only two years ago. We sailed on a
six hour trip yesterday without toilet facilities and something has to be
done.
I'll get the toilet model and make this weekend.
The problem... we can't expell contents of bowl.
We're guessing we may have a blockage in the line

Prob'ly not...unless you've had guests aboard who've flushed something
they shouldn't have.

or the pump mechanism is faulty

I think the problem is in the toilet.

If it's a Jabsco, the wet/dry valve has prob'ly failed--very common in
Jabsco toilets. That valve is just a little "door" that swings to open
or close the flush water inlet...it hangs, and when it does, it creates
backpressure in the toilet that feel like a clog in the discharge line.

If the toilet is a Raritan PH II, there's an air valve on the front of
the wet dry housing--a little flat square nut with a hole in it that
looks like it's molded into the housing, but is actually threaded in. If
it gets clogged, it'll create backpressure, preventing the toilet
from flushing. The cu remove it, clean it, wrap the threads with
teflon tape and put it back.

or the y valve that used to direct waste water
somehow got turned to the holding tank line that has
been cutoff and capped and is stuck there.

If that were the case, waste would be backing up into the toilet.

If the toilet is something other than a Jabsco or PH II, I'll need more
info to trouble shoot it.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Don White

The entrance would be about 15 nm south west of Halifax Nova Scotia.
It takes us between 7 and 8 hours to sail club to club.
note: our summer club is approx 44 degrees 38.15 minutes N
63 degrees
55.12minutes W

Jim wrote in message
Where is St. Margaret's Bay?

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:29:20 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:18:07 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5".

Not sure what you mean here. The one fitting is the plastic 1" - 1 1/2"
adapter that I bought at a marine store (and it says "1 1/2" right on
it!). The other is the existing brass suction-break that was used with
1 1/2" diesel filler hose.

Never mind what it says...measure the OD. You'll find that nominal (what
it's supposed to be) and actual (what it is) aren't always the same.

PVC plumbing fittings aren't made just for the marine industry...they're
the same PVC fittings that are used throughout the plumbing industry.
I've never found anyone who knows the reason for it, but ALL gray pvc
1.5" thread x 1.5" barbed fittings are actual 1 5/8" barbed. But they're
all marked 1.5 x 1.5. This is only true of 1.5"...for all other sizes,
nominal and actual are the same.

I measured both fittings: the plastic (donno if it's pvc or nylon) is just
a hair over 1.5". Some hot water and soapy got it on fine. The other one
is also a hair over 1.5, and yes, the two fittings on the suction break
are about 1/32" different.

Btw...you said brass...most marine fittings are bronze. If it really IS
brass, I wouldn't use it in a sanitation hose...urine is corrosive and
brass is likely to get clogged up with vertigris.

Must be bronze - I bought it a a marine store (at typical marine price!)
and they knew it was for a holding tank.

Not sure I can get a hairdrier at this hose.

Lloyd, if you can get at it to work on it, you can get a blow dryer
close enough to it to warm it a bit. That's why they make extension
cords.

Well, I CAN'T really get at it to work on it: only about 1/4 of it. I
tried heating it with a steam-cleaner (Now it's Really Clean...), and as I
felt it getting cold again almost immediately, I realized (duh!) it's full
of water, which is at least thermally connected to the ocean through the
bronze thruhull! No way I'm getting this baby hot!

Should I drill a hole in the hose and let most of the water out (it's
slanted down, so water in the fitting will still be there...)? Any way I
can cut it off without damaging the fitting?

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Well, I CAN'T really get at it to work on it: only about 1/4 of it. I
tried heating it with a steam-cleaner (Now it's Really Clean...), and as I
felt it getting cold again almost immediately, I realized (duh!) it's full
of water, which is at least thermally connected to the ocean through the
bronze thruhull! No way I'm getting this baby hot!

Why would it be full of water before you ever use it???? Unless you
tried putting hot water in it??? You don't heat hose from the inside,
Lloyd...you warm it from the outside. You just stick the end into a pot
of boiling water--which can be a little hard to do in some locations--or
you just turn a blow dryer on it (from a distance that isn't likely to
burn it)...and let it run for a few minutes. Because you don't want to
risk damaging the hose, you do need some patience.

Should I drill a hole in the hose and let most of the water out (it's
slanted down, so water in the fitting will still be there...)?

Noooo! If you do that, the hose will never seal.

Any way I
can cut it off without damaging the fitting?

Same way you should have put it on: warm it with a blow dryer. It
should soften up enough to come off.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:01:56 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

Well, I CAN'T really get at it to work on it: only about 1/4 of it. I
tried heating it with a steam-cleaner (Now it's Really Clean...), and as I
felt it getting cold again almost immediately, I realized (duh!) it's full
of water, which is at least thermally connected to the ocean through the
bronze thruhull! No way I'm getting this baby hot!

Why would it be full of water before you ever use it????

Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. I have two problems: getting a hose
ON, and getting a hose OFF. Your advice solved the first problem, I'm now
working on the second.

This hose hasn't been taken off in at least 15 years, and is diesel-filler
hose (red, maybe rubber?). It's full of water because it's the hose going
from the suction-break (4ft above the hull) to the thru-hull (basically at
the hull), and either it or the thruhull is clogged (and the boat is in
the water and the thruhull is below the waterline, so how do you drain
it?)

So it's full of water. AND I'll never use this hose again, I just have to
get it off so I can clear the clog and replace the hose with proper sewage
hose. I don't care if I ruin the hose, as long as I can re-use the
fitting.

Lloyd

Peggie Hall

Maybe Clams was right after all!

This hose hasn't been taken off in at least 15 years, and is diesel-filler
hose (red, maybe rubber?). It's full of water because it's the hose going
from the suction-break (4ft above the hull) to the thru-hull (basically at
the hull), and either it or the thruhull is clogged (and the boat is in
the water and the thruhull is below the waterline, so how do you drain
it?)

So it's full of water. AND I'll never use this hose again, I just have to
get it off so I can clear the clog and replace the hose with proper sewage
hose. I don't care if I ruin the hose, as long as I can re-use the
fitting.

Aha! HOkay... In that case, yes...you can drill a hole in the hose to
drain the water out of it. Otoh, you could cut the hose behind the
fitting. The water drains out, and now you're only working with a 4-6"
length of hose instead of several feet. Assuming you can close the
seacock, take the fitting off the boat and put it on the bench to get
that few inches of hose off the fitting.

CAREFULLY, with a serrated knife or an electric cutting tool if you have
one, cut the hose lengthwise almost all the way through...be especially
careful when you're almost through it that you don't score the fitting.
Then just pry it apart. If you're 100% certain you can do it on both
sides without cutting into the fitting, do it...even cut it in 1/4s. If
it's really stuck on the fitting and doesn't want to pry off, use some
machine oil...or even WD-40. Let it sit for a while. You'll get it off
it you're patient...then clean up the fitting.

It's not a "blood, sweat and swear" job...it just takes patience and a
lot of care.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Gould 0738

[...]

Aack! I should have read this thread before giving Lloyd almost identical
advice in his
other inquiry. :-)
basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message . ..
When removing stubborn hoses, these radiator hose removal tools are
priceless-

http://tinyurl.com/kokm

You push the end of the tool as far down as you can between the hose and
fitting then rotate all the way around the fitting.
This will break the seal between the hose hand fitting making removal easy.

That should really help him get the hose ON.
Keith

I used a heat gun and spray silicone to get my sanitation hoses on the
fittings. It was tough, but worked.

--

Keith
__