Default lunitidal interval

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

On 11 Sep 2006 09:18:57 -0700, "Chuck Gould"

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Start of course with the Admiralty tide tables.

As with everywhere else on the planet, it takes 18 years and 6 months
to complete an entire "tide cycle." Tides at Poole Harbour are
generally semi-diurnal, with two highs and two lows per day. The lunar
day is 24 hours, 50 minutes, so if Poole is not influenced by
topography (I suspect that it almost certainly is) there would be a 12
hour and 25 minute interval between one high tide and the next.

Some additional general information:

http://www.dcda.org.uk/1-3coastalform/3detailed.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "Lunitidal Interval" the amount
of time the high tide follows the moon's meridian passage for a given
location?
Mark E. Williams

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
[...]

Yes, and the predictable interval will remain constant from one tide to
the next.
(Factors like barometric pressure, river drainage, etc will vary and
cannot be accurately predicted).

Thanks Chuck (and all you others) but does anyone have the magic number
I need to plug into my new Casio watch to help me figure out the best
time to go to the harbour?
As there is a delay due to the restrictive inlet into the harbour I've
got a feeling this is not going to be possible.

Phil

Chuck Gould wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Start of course with the Admiralty tide tables.

As with everywhere else on the planet, it takes 18 years and 6 months
to complete an entire "tide cycle." Tides at Poole Harbour are
generally semi-diurnal, with two highs and two lows per day. The lunar
day is 24 hours, 50 minutes, so if Poole is not influenced by
topography (I suspect that it almost certainly is) there would be a 12
hour and 25 minute interval between one high tide and the next.

Some additional general information:

http://www.dcda.org.uk/1-3coastalform/3detailed.html

Lunitidal Intervals on a Casio GL-150 Yme Bosma Electronics 0 March 16th 04 10:14 AM
lunitidal interval for toronto Tim G. General 9 January 21st 04 06:56 PM
lunitidal interval steen UK Paddle 3 January 9th 04 10:18 AM
Need Lunitidal Interval for Margate, NJ Ted S. General 8 December 16th 03 12:56 AM
Need the Lunitidal Interval for Margate, NJ. Ted S. Cruising 10 December 15th 03 05:30 PM