Maynard G. Krebbs Maynard G. Krebbs is offline

Default lunitidal interval

On 11 Sep 2006 09:18:57 -0700, "Chuck Gould"

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Start of course with the Admiralty tide tables.

As with everywhere else on the planet, it takes 18 years and 6 months
to complete an entire "tide cycle." Tides at Poole Harbour are
generally semi-diurnal, with two highs and two lows per day. The lunar
day is 24 hours, 50 minutes, so if Poole is not influenced by
topography (I suspect that it almost certainly is) there would be a 12
hour and 25 minute interval between one high tide and the next.

Some additional general information:

http://www.dcda.org.uk/1-3coastalform/3detailed.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "Lunitidal Interval" the amount
of time the high tide follows the moon's meridian passage for a given
location?
Mark E. Williams