BoatBanter.com

-   -   lunitidal interval (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/73866-lunitidal-interval.html)

[email protected] September 11th 06 03:11 PM

lunitidal interval

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Chuck Gould September 11th 06 05:18 PM

lunitidal interval

wrote:
Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Start of course with the Admiralty tide tables.

As with everywhere else on the planet, it takes 18 years and 6 months
to complete an entire "tide cycle." Tides at Poole Harbour are
generally semi-diurnal, with two highs and two lows per day. The lunar
day is 24 hours, 50 minutes, so if Poole is not influenced by
topography (I suspect that it almost certainly is) there would be a 12
hour and 25 minute interval between one high tide and the next.

Some additional general information:

http://www.dcda.org.uk/1-3coastalform/3detailed.html

Maynard G. Krebbs September 12th 06 02:03 AM

lunitidal interval

On 11 Sep 2006 09:18:57 -0700, "Chuck Gould"

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?
Phil

Start of course with the Admiralty tide tables.

As with everywhere else on the planet, it takes 18 years and 6 months
to complete an entire "tide cycle." Tides at Poole Harbour are
generally semi-diurnal, with two highs and two lows per day. The lunar
day is 24 hours, 50 minutes, so if Poole is not influenced by
topography (I suspect that it almost certainly is) there would be a 12
hour and 25 minute interval between one high tide and the next.

Some additional general information:

http://www.dcda.org.uk/1-3coastalform/3detailed.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "Lunitidal Interval" the amount
of time the high tide follows the moon's meridian passage for a given
location?
Mark E. Williams

Chuck Gould September 12th 06 07:57 AM

lunitidal interval

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
[...]

Yes, and the predictable interval will remain constant from one tide to
the next.
(Factors like barometric pressure, river drainage, etc will vary and
cannot be accurately predicted).

[email protected] September 12th 06 09:32 AM

lunitidal interval

Thanks Chuck (and all you others) but does anyone have the magic number
I need to plug into my new Casio watch to help me figure out the best
time to go to the harbour?
As there is a delay due to the restrictive inlet into the harbour I've
got a feeling this is not going to be possible.

Phil

[email protected] September 13th 06 09:30 AM

lunitidal interval

I'm interested as I am learning to kite surf and when we get a low tide
in the harbour at the moment it is really really low!

I'll plug in the number for Bournemouth and this will have to do,

Thanks

Phil

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 11 Sep 2006 07:11:12 -0700, wrote:

Has anyone got or worked out the figure for Poole in Dorset please?

Just out of curiosity, and because I've been interested in that whole
area since I first started reading Forrester, I am wondering if your
concern is to approach Poole at ebb tide to avoid all the rips and
currents in the channel.

Anyway, that whole Solent area has a pretty complex tidal structure
because of the nature of things so I suspect you won't find a simple
number to plug into your watch. More likely, you will need to use an
Admiralty table to get an exact tide.

Then again, what do I know. :)