Ted S.

Default Need the Lunitidal Interval for Margate, NJ.

I need the Lunitidal Interval (HIGH tide) for Margate, NJ. This is right
next to Atlantic City if Margate is not listed.

Could somebody tell me this bit of information or tell me how to find it?
I'm trying to program a watch for my father (it's a gift) and I don't know
this one bit of information.

The manual says to use the time differential between the moon's transit over
the meridian until HIGH tide, not low tide.

The manual lists 11:20 for Boston and 7:30 for Miami, so I assume the
correct value for Margate, NJ is somewhere between.

I would really appreciate the help or a better newsgroup to ask in.

Thanks

Ted

Brian Whatcott

I never saw a watch with this feature, but I imagine it is intended to
give some indication of the tides for a particular place.

The concept is that the moon overhead is a major component in the
tide, and there is a characteristic delay between this lunar
meridional transit and the following high tide.

If a watch has a wheel which turns twice in 24 hours and fifty minutes
then the high tide can be expected at the same indication on this
wheel - a time which is fifty minutes later each day on average.

You could call Heritage Surf and Sport, Margate, 609-823-3331
and ask for the next high tide time.
The almanac gives the time of the lunar meridional transit for the
same day, but unfortunately, I don't have a current copy to hand.

It would be unwise to simply interpolate the Lunitidal interval ( also
called the Mean Establishment) from two other ports: the tide is not
so conveniently predictable.
Even providing the accurate value for the Mean Establishment is not a
great tide predictor - tide tables are better.

Good Luck

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:50:51 -0500, "Ted S."
wrote:

I need the Lunitidal Interval (HIGH tide) for Margate, NJ. This is right
next to Atlantic City if Margate is not listed.

Could somebody tell me this bit of information or tell me how to find it?
I'm trying to program a watch for my father (it's a gift) and I don't know
this one bit of information.

The manual says to use the time differential between the moon's transit over
the meridian until HIGH tide, not low tide.

The manual lists 11:20 for Boston and 7:30 for Miami, so I assume the
correct value for Margate, NJ is somewhere between.

I would really appreciate the help or a better newsgroup to ask in.

Thanks

Ted

Glenn Ashmore

Greenwich high water lunitidal interval (HWI) for the Atlantic City
station is 12.32 hours. You will need to convert to local time. Local
interval is Greenwitch - .069* Longitude in degrees For longitude 74º25'
: 12.32- .069*74.42 = 7.18

That is at the station. If you are located up a river or behind a
barier island you will have a local variation that may be significant.

You can get the intervals used by NOAA/NOS for all stations at:
http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/data_...e=100301000acc

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

I should add that if the adjustment comes out negative, add 12.42 to
make it positive. Both Boston and Miami come out negative. Using the
NOAA HWI Greenwich Boston is 11.24. Miami (Government Cut) is 8.0 and
Biscayne Bay, only a few miles West, is 7.27. That illustrates the
effect of restrictions in tidal flow.

That is decimal hours BTW, not minutes.

Ted S. wrote:

I need the Lunitidal Interval (HIGH tide) for Margate, NJ. This is right
next to Atlantic City if Margate is not listed.

Could somebody tell me this bit of information or tell me how to find it?
I'm trying to program a watch for my father (it's a gift) and I don't
know
this one bit of information.

The manual says to use the time differential between the moon's
transit over
the meridian until HIGH tide, not low tide.

The manual lists 11:20 for Boston and 7:30 for Miami, so I assume the
correct value for Margate, NJ is somewhere between.

I would really appreciate the help or a better newsgroup to ask in.

Thanks

Ted

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade

"Ted S." wrote in message ...
I need the Lunitidal Interval (HIGH tide) for Margate, NJ. This is right
next to Atlantic City if Margate is not listed.

Could somebody tell me this bit of information or tell me how to find it?
I'm trying to program a watch for my father (it's a gift) and I don't know
this one bit of information.

The manual says to use the time differential between the moon's transit over
the meridian until HIGH tide, not low tide.

The manual lists 11:20 for Boston and 7:30 for Miami, so I assume the
correct value for Margate, NJ is somewhere between.

I would really appreciate the help or a better newsgroup to ask in.

Thanks

Ted

This is a great chart for tides, easy to use. For Atlantic City, try
this:
http://www2.shore.net/~mcmorran/bin/...&units=ENGLISH

If that does not work, try this:
http://www2.shore.net/~mcmorran/tide/tideform.html

Scotty

Ted S.

Ok. Margate is 74.51 degrees so I get 12.32 - .069*74.51 = 7.18 = 7 hrs 11
minutes.

This seems to work fairly well and gives me a great starting point.

I appreciate the help. I didn't know I needed a degree to program this
thing.

Thanks very much!

Ted