Brian Whatcott

Default Need the Lunitidal Interval for Margate, NJ.

I never saw a watch with this feature, but I imagine it is intended to
give some indication of the tides for a particular place.

The concept is that the moon overhead is a major component in the
tide, and there is a characteristic delay between this lunar
meridional transit and the following high tide.

If a watch has a wheel which turns twice in 24 hours and fifty minutes
then the high tide can be expected at the same indication on this
wheel - a time which is fifty minutes later each day on average.

You could call Heritage Surf and Sport, Margate, 609-823-3331
and ask for the next high tide time.
The almanac gives the time of the lunar meridional transit for the
same day, but unfortunately, I don't have a current copy to hand.

It would be unwise to simply interpolate the Lunitidal interval ( also
called the Mean Establishment) from two other ports: the tide is not
so conveniently predictable.
Even providing the accurate value for the Mean Establishment is not a
great tide predictor - tide tables are better.

Good Luck

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:50:51 -0500, "Ted S."
wrote:

I need the Lunitidal Interval (HIGH tide) for Margate, NJ. This is right
next to Atlantic City if Margate is not listed.

Could somebody tell me this bit of information or tell me how to find it?
I'm trying to program a watch for my father (it's a gift) and I don't know
this one bit of information.

The manual says to use the time differential between the moon's transit over
the meridian until HIGH tide, not low tide.

The manual lists 11:20 for Boston and 7:30 for Miami, so I assume the
correct value for Margate, NJ is somewhere between.

I would really appreciate the help or a better newsgroup to ask in.

Thanks

Ted