Bill Netterville

Default OMC/Mercruiser repower question

I have an 87 Sea Ray Sundancer with twin 4.3 (V6)'s and OMC Cobra outdrives.
The outdrives are in sad shape, and need major work. Since I plan to keep
the boat for a while, I was wondering on the practicality of switching to
mercruiser outdrives.

Rebuilt mercruisers seem to be less expensive (and easier to get parts and
service) than my OMCs.

I don't have much experience working with outdrives, but have worked on
engines and such for a while - pretty handy with a wrench. I think I could
do most of the install work with the help of the manuals.

Anybody have any experience/opinion on this type of project? I understand
(?) that the transom cutouts are different, so I might have to do some
fiberglass work. Is this a major deal? Will my existing engines mate up to
the different drives, or would the engines have to be remounted?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Bill

Keith & Laura Koether

I'm not entirely sure but if I remember right when OMC started the Cobra
line the designed it with the same transom cutout as the Mercruiser Alpha's.
It's possible that has since changed or I'm mistaken.

--
Keith & Laura Koether
Pleasure Island

"Bill Netterville" wrote in message
m...
[...]

megabite

I would check to see that the Gimble housing hole is the same size. You
could make it bigger if neccessary. Making it smaller would not be a cost
effective option.
[...]

Chrysler Outboard Question. Joe Here General 4 August 13th 03 09:48 PM
Prop Question... Part II Matt General 1 July 24th 03 01:58 AM
Help with Quick Repower megabite General 0 July 18th 03 12:36 AM
Sea Ray 260DA question RG General 0 July 16th 03 10:07 PM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM