megabite

Default OMC/Mercruiser repower question

I would check to see that the Gimble housing hole is the same size. You
could make it bigger if neccessary. Making it smaller would not be a cost
effective option.
"Bill Netterville" wrote in message
m...
I have an 87 Sea Ray Sundancer with twin 4.3 (V6)'s and OMC Cobra

outdrives.
The outdrives are in sad shape, and need major work. Since I plan to keep
the boat for a while, I was wondering on the practicality of switching to
mercruiser outdrives.

Rebuilt mercruisers seem to be less expensive (and easier to get parts and
service) than my OMCs.

I don't have much experience working with outdrives, but have worked on
engines and such for a while - pretty handy with a wrench. I think I could
do most of the install work with the help of the manuals.

Anybody have any experience/opinion on this type of project? I understand
(?) that the transom cutouts are different, so I might have to do some
fiberglass work. Is this a major deal? Will my existing engines mate up to
the different drives, or would the engines have to be remounted?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Bill