Default Unbelievable troll.

This have something to do with boats?

Aren't there some right wing groups some place where people would be
eager to GD your target group?

RCE

Default Unbelievable

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

RCE wrote:

Harry, come on now. You are of that generation as am I. Vietnam may have
been for all the wrong reasons, but the draft dodgers who fled to Canada
had very little affect on the public's opinion of the war. The vocal
protesters did, as did the few, true conscientious objectors (Muhammad
Ali, for one), but the draft dodgers were faceless and voiceless people
who were more despised than revered, even by those opposed to the war.

RCE

They and the protesters had some positive effect on ending that stupid
war. The draft resisters played a part and that's all I said about them.

So ....

I screwed up "affect" and "effect" again. Damn it.

RCE

Doug Kanter

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
.net...
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ers040908.html

I have a question for you. Is it possible that today, you might know
something I don't, and that a year from now, I might also know the same
thing?

Don White

Bert Robbins wrote:

What branch of your military did you serve in?

I greased and stroked the big artillery guns...I polished my commanders
brass buttons so I could stay close to home and out of danger..
Hold on... that was someone else...not me!
basskisser

JIMinFL wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JIMinFL wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ers040908.html

What's your point?
If they helped bring that war to an early close shouldn't they be
honoured?

Honoring cowardly acts is not the American way. I'm surprised that Canada
feels differently.

Cowardice had nothing to do with it. People went because they had the
balls to stand up to their political, religious and personal
convictions. They didn't like the reasoning for the war, realized it
was absurd that we were there, and didn't just lemming-like join
because everyone tells them that it's honorable to your country to go
kill a bunch of innocent people.

basskisser

RCE wrote:

Harry, come on now. You are of that generation as am I. Vietnam may have
been for all the wrong reasons, but the draft dodgers who fled to Canada
had very little affect on the public's opinion of the war. The vocal
protesters did, as did the few, true conscientious objectors (Muhammad
Ali, for one), but the draft dodgers were faceless and voiceless people
who were more despised than revered, even by those opposed to the war.

RCE

They and the protesters had some positive effect on ending that stupid
war. The draft resisters played a part and that's all I said about them.

So ....

I screwed up "affect" and "effect" again. Damn it.

RCE

Jack Goff will be all over you for that grammatical error!!!

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
JIMinFL wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ers040908.html

What's your point?
If they helped bring that war to an early close shouldn't they be
honoured?

Relax, Don. A certain type of person is REQUIRED to have a problem with
people who make difficult decisions of conscience.

RCE

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

JIMinFL wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JIMinFL wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ers040908.html

What's your point?
If they helped bring that war to an early close shouldn't they be
honoured?

Honoring cowardly acts is not the American way. I'm surprised that Canada
feels differently.

Cowardice had nothing to do with it. People went because they had the
balls to stand up to their political, religious and personal
convictions. They didn't like the reasoning for the war, realized it
was absurd that we were there, and didn't just lemming-like join
because everyone tells them that it's honorable to your country to go
kill a bunch of innocent people.

It had nothing to do with "joining". It was draft evasion. Those that
violated the law and ran to Canada or elsewhere were in the minority, for
sure, but they caused others to be called up to replace them who otherwise
may not have been called. If one was willing to take the time to prove
being a true conscientious objector, there were programs to allow you to
serve the country in other ways other than the military. Even those of us in
the military had limited options. My best friend served in the fleet
marines as a Navy corpsman, caring for the injured and saving lives. He
never carried a rifle. This was by choice because he didn't believe in
killing.

Most of us that were subject to the draft during the 60's were products of
the American culture of the 50's. That culture taught us that military
service was an honorable duty, along with patriotism and a sense of unity of
purpose. By the late 60's things had changed. The drug culture was in full
bloom, the sexual revolution was well underway and the overall thinking was
"me" rather than "us". So, I don't buy all the crap about draft dodgers
being generally categorized as being spiritually and/or morally opposed to
the Vietnam War or our government's actions. They were, with some
exceptions, more interested in themselves and their personal interests. In
a sense this selfish philosophy produced a whole new group of lemmings.

RCE

Doug Kanter

JIMinFL wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JIMinFL wrote:
[...]

If you (and I mean specifically YOU, not some theoretical "other") were
absolutely sure that a war was wrong, would you still serve?