BoatBanter.com

-   -   More gas on gas (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/69025-re-more-gas-gas.html)

JimH April 24th 06 02:56 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

If you personally have the ability to influence one of those factors,
and you are bothered by rising prices, do you think it makes no sense at
all to do your part to effect a change? I'm curious, because I'll bet
you call yourself patriotic.

*Effect* a change?

Yes. It's correct.

I did not say otherwise. I used the *'s for emphasis.

You start. Sell your boat, cars and other equipment powered by gasoline
engines. Let us know when are done with that simple task.

Another giant of a thinker. Where in this discussion do you think I
suggested that people get rid of their vehicles? Find the text and
present it as evidence of your conclusion.

You made no such proposal. I made one to you however.

You want to effect a change. Go ahead and start by doing what I suggested.
;-)

JimH April 24th 06 02:57 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

Now you're dancing. Humor me. What could consumers do to reduce the need
to manufacture so many vehicles?

Ride a bike or walk everywhere. You start. Sell your cars. Then sell
your boat. Then sell any other gasoline powered equipment you own.

Stay quiet, and watch as RCE figures this out.

You are the one asking for folks to *effect* a change.

So why can't you start by doing what I suggested?

Or is it just everyone else but you who should try?

RCE April 24th 06 02:59 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

You made no such proposal. I made one to you however.

You want to effect a change. Go ahead and start by doing what I
suggested. ;-)

Jim, we are having a friendly, philosophical discussion here.
Please don't screw it up ....... yet.

Doug ... I am having a newserver hiccup. Not ignoring your question.

RCE

JimH April 24th 06 03:04 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

"RCE" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

You made no such proposal. I made one to you however.

You want to effect a change. Go ahead and start by doing what I
suggested. ;-)

Jim, we are having a friendly, philosophical discussion here.
Please don't screw it up ....... yet.

I did not know you owned this discussion Richard.

RCE April 24th 06 03:09 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

As far as the 40 mpg hybrids you keep mentioning, you need to stop that.
According to two people I know who own them, Escalades get 12-14 mpg on a
good day. A Camry or an Impala get numbers in the high 20s - low 30s. I
wasn't a math whiz in high school, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but
I *think* that's about twice the gas mileage of an Escalade.

A 40 mpg hybrid, a Camry or an Impala are not suitable to tow a 5000 lb boat
to the launch site.
A F-350 diesel pickup that gets 16-18 mpg is, among many other uses.

RCE

[email protected] April 24th 06 03:11 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

RCE wrote:
Again, stolen from another NG, the following is a portion of an article
published in the "Economist".

It seems to refute some of the Peak Oil doom and gloom arguments.

There was an article in the latest Economist about this. Here's
a little of it:

As oil production slows,
prices will rise up and down the futures curve, stimulating new
technology and conservation. We might be running low on $20 oil,
but for $60 we have adequate oil supplies for decades to come."

----------------

$60/bbl for "decades to come"? How far from the wastebasket does one
need to stand to score 3 points with a paper wad?

Doug Kanter April 24th 06 03:12 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

"RCE" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Here's another thought exercise for you. Don't debate each point which
begins with an asterisk. They're true. Wait for the question at the
end.

* It requires energy to build everything, including cars.

* By nature of their design & manufacturing details, some cars are more
expendable than others. Therefore, their early demise and replacement
represents an earlier requirement for more energy use.

* Careful with this one: Regardless of the type of vehicle, some are
made more expendable due to the actions of the people who buy them.

This is the question: What could consumers do to reduce the tendency of
vehicles to be more quickly expendable?

I'll answer your question in the form of another truth asterisk:

* Not all, but some consumers purchase items, including cars, to use and
enjoy, not as investments in longevity.

I've forgotten ... do you currently own a boat? If so, do you enjoy it?
Is it really a necessity?

RCE

Now you're dancing. Humor me. What could consumers do to reduce the need
to manufacture so many vehicles?

Ok. I'll play along. The answer is, obviously, stop buying them. But
then, they stop being consumers as well.

RCE

That's an easy answer, but it's the wrong one. Keep thinking.

RCE April 24th 06 03:15 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

wrote in message
oups.com...

RCE wrote:
Again, stolen from another NG, the following is a portion of an article
published in the "Economist".

It seems to refute some of the Peak Oil doom and gloom arguments.

There was an article in the latest Economist about this. Here's
a little of it:

As oil production slows,
prices will rise up and down the futures curve, stimulating new
technology and conservation. We might be running low on $20 oil,
but for $60 we have adequate oil supplies for decades to come."

----------------

$60/bbl for "decades to come"? How far from the wastebasket does one
need to stand to score 3 points with a paper wad?

According to his theory, $100/bbl will add a couple of more decades of
availability.

RCE

Doug Kanter April 24th 06 03:17 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
m...

If you personally have the ability to influence one of those factors,
and you are bothered by rising prices, do you think it makes no sense
at all to do your part to effect a change? I'm curious, because I'll
bet you call yourself patriotic.

*Effect* a change?

Yes. It's correct.

I did not say otherwise. I used the *'s for emphasis.

You start. Sell your boat, cars and other equipment powered by gasoline
engines. Let us know when are done with that simple task.

Another giant of a thinker. Where in this discussion do you think I
suggested that people get rid of their vehicles? Find the text and
present it as evidence of your conclusion.

You made no such proposal. I made one to you however.

You want to effect a change. Go ahead and start by doing what I
suggested. ;-)

Since this country, for the most part, is in the dark ages in terms of city
design and transportation, it would obviously be impossible for us to get
rid of cars completely.

Don White April 24th 06 03:21 PM

Peak Oil - counterargument

Doug Kanter wrote:
"RCE" wrote in message

Again, stolen from another NG, the following is a portion of an article
published in the "Economist".

It seems to refute some of the Peak Oil doom and gloom arguments.

The hell with "the peak". How about just doing our part to lower prices? Or,
are Americans too friggin' busy, lazy or stupid to make the effort?

From an outsiders point of view... a lot of Americaans seem to have a
fetish for size & power.
The Honda Civic has been the best selling car in Canada for 8 years
while the Toyota Camry has been the USA's top seller for 6 years
In the SUV catagory it's the Ford Escape...vs the Ford Explorer stateside.