Doug Kanter

Default OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Tell me, Dave, a man who goes into an old building and removes
asbestos...what do you think he should be paid an hour? More than you
make, one hopes, eh? I mean, what are you? A software pussy?

Cripes, Harry. Don't you pay attention? :-)

1) The guy should be paid like a janitor because asbestos is not dangerous.
It is portrayed as dangerous by liberals who don't appreciate the blessings
we've received from big corporations.

2) Dave is "in telecommunications" somehow. My guess: When you sign up for a
new phone toy like caller ID, he's the guy who's supposed to "program" it
for your phone number, assuming he's not busy on his CWA-designated coffee
break. You know...CWA...like the unions he doesn't like.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the folks that claim - "I have a

college
degree but the only job I can get is flipping burgers." Many college

degrees
are useless;

Like liberal arts.

Why's that, Dave? Because the phrase contains the word "liberal"?

Stephen Hawking is the product of a liberal arts education, with
collegiate studies in math, physics, natural science and cosmology.

Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso, one of my personal heroes, holds the Tibetan
academic degree of Geshe Lharampa, roughly equivalent in Western terms
to a Ph.D. in Buddhist metaphysics. He's a liberal arts graduate.

From a website about liberal arts education:

"A liberal arts education is not designed as training for a specific
occupation. What it does do better than any other type of college or
university preparation is sharpen analytical and communication skills,
teach students how to learn, and provide students with a body of
knowledge that can be applied to larger contexts. Thus, it is no
surprise that the leaders in most career fields are liberal arts
graduates whose specialized training occurred in graduate or
professional school."

Our man Dave obviously had a ****-poor education.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Tell me, Dave, a man who goes into an old building and removes
asbestos...what do you think he should be paid an hour? More than you
make, one hopes, eh? I mean, what are you? A software pussy?

Cripes, Harry. Don't you pay attention? :-)

1) The guy should be paid like a janitor because asbestos is not dangerous.
It is portrayed as dangerous by liberals who don't appreciate the blessings
we've received from big corporations.

2) Dave is "in telecommunications" somehow. My guess: When you sign up for a
new phone toy like caller ID, he's the guy who's supposed to "program" it
for your phone number, assuming he's not busy on his CWA-designated coffee
break. You know...CWA...like the unions he doesn't like.

Dave is incredibly representive of the plague of Stepford Conservatives
who are destroying our society. He's badly educated, he doesn't really
read, he doesn't think for himself, and he accepts virtually everything
his Republican leaders tell him is true.

You know, it's kind of funny. I thought Clinton was a flaming ass for
doing what he did to himself with his extracurricular sex life, and I
said so many times. But I never felt nervous about the country or its
future with him in charge. Now we have an absolute idiot in the White
House, perhaps the most dangerous man who has ever been there, a man who
doesn't read and doesn't understand, and who has the intellectual
curiosity of snail, and he's pooched about everything he has touched
and...he's placed us in harm's way in a big way...and all the
Conservatives can do is try to convince us he's a great leader.

Are they that blind? Are they even dumber than I think they are? Or are
they so ashamed of Bush they are overcompensating?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Are they that blind? Are they even dumber than I think they are? Or are
they so ashamed of Bush they are overcompensating?

It's a common human foible to defend your decisions, even if they're hideous
ones. Used to see it all the time with customers when I was in the audio
business, and later in the investment business, especially with males.

Calif Bill

He suggested San Leandro Color. They even put it in a spray can for you.
Bill

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:01:50 GMT, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:50:12 GMT, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

[snip]

Bart ends in my town. Livermore,
Calif is 7 miles away, and has also been paying BART taxes since 1957.

We should be nicer to each other, Bill, seeing as how we're neighbors!

Joe Parsons
Dublin, CA

And we share a BART station. Was in Dublin today at Finish Masters

looking
for touchup paint for the boat.
Bill

Pick some up for me, wouldja? Four Winns, maroon.

Joe Parsons

Calif Bill

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

Do not know if it still true. Used to be 50% of the population of the

USA
lived within 500 miles of Cleavland, OH. Includes Boston / NYC. Very

good
to have mass transit in this situation. Problem with most new Mass

transit,
is the Politics and Union required laws. Bart ends in my town.

Livermore,
Calif is 7 miles away, and has also been paying BART taxes since 1957.

run BART the extra 7 miles is projected to run $900 million to $1.5

billion!
It is an above ground light rail. No tunnels required. Where do these
costs come from? Even figuring in another train does not add up. Also,

if
the job could be done wrong BART did it. Non-standard guage railways.
Wrong frequency and voltage for signaling the train as they did not want

pay the railroads for the right to use there system. So we spent

anothor
100 million or so and still lost trains. A high tech fare system that
costs more to monitor than the extra money a simple ticket or token for
anywhere in the system ala Paris / London / NYC costs.
Bill

Well...I guess if something's done incorrectly, nobody should ever try it
again anyplace else. You're right.

Nope, just do not build over priced edifices to some pol's idea of nirvana.
Build them where lots of the people live, and connect up to other mass
transit with frequency. And affordable fares. San Jose did something near
right. Their light rail runs from The North end of San Jose to the way
south. Right down the middle of the valley pretty much. Connects to the
Altamont diesel train at the Northern terminus and the ticket from the train
is good for a ride. The Light rail ticket is $1.25. Good for miles and
miles. Affordable for everybody and convenient to bus connection. Free
connecting bus to San Jose Airport. For the same distance from the airport
at Oakland, BART gets $2 and have to have an exact change BART ticket.
Bill

Calif Bill

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
snip

In this state, the present governor and his legislature have sold out to

the
unions. Make rules that raise the price of construction on public

contracts
sky high. Pay levels higher than 95% of jobs requiring a college

education.
Bill

I think your value system may need a tune-up.

College degree -verses- Technical and union jobs: most of the trades

require
technical school and apprenticeship. If you look at schooling and lost
opportunity costs the pay should be about the same. Unlike the college
degree, the trades are able to do something useful right out of school.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the folks that claim - "I have a

college
degree but the only job I can get is flipping burgers." Many college

degrees
are useless; the trades should get more. Most employers really could care
less if a potential candidate has written a masters thesis on "the
contributions of Mary Shelly" to the transition of modern literature - or
some similar earthshaking accomplishment. They want someone who has the
right attitude and a good grasp of the basics of whatever it is they are
doing.

If you are envious of the wages made by construction workers, go get a job
in the field - If you think it is just cushy high paid jobs like holding
slow/stop signs, go for it! I have worked around construction workers on
and off for the last twenty years. It is my opinion that the earn their
wages.

Mark Browne

Building trades apprentices get paid while going to school. So very little
lost opportunity cost vs. the full time college student. And most union
jobs are not skilled jobs. What training is required for prison guard
before they are hired? Service Employee's International: Janitors, clerks,
etc. Laborer in the building trade $25-25 / hour. How much training for
manning a shovel?
Bill

Mark Browne

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Go for it. I'll bet you would last a few hours before you keeled over; you
might even pocket a few bucks before you washed out! After you are done with
your little adventure, come back and we can talk about whether you earned it
or not.

For that matter, I would like to see you work a day doing wipe-downs in a
car wash. You would be one tired pupply if you made it through the day. I'm
guessing you would not.

Mark Browne

Calif Bill

I can teach a guy to frame a house a whole lot faster and easier than
teaching him the engineering of same building. Sure the apprentices take
some tech courses, but no where near the amount needed for a degree. Maybe
an AA if they also took 30 semester units of liberal arts courses and 14
units of advanced math / english.

Calif Bill wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Trains already work very nicely for New York and Boston, not to
mention
virtually ALL of Europe.

Most of Europe is very densely populated relative to the land

mass.
Not
lot of suburbs as we think of them. So you can run trains between

the
major
population centers and mass transit in the city then works. Paris

is
also
cheap to travel around in their subway. A Carnet (10 tickets is

about
$8)
Each ticket is good for any place in the central area of paris.

Change
trains just like the NY subway and as long as you do not leave the
station,
you get to travel for 1 ticket. Out local mass transit, BART,

costs
minimum of $1.50 for one station and to go about 30 miles is

$5.10.
Way
expensive, and the connecting busses take for ever to get point A

B.
Bill

We do things backwards.

Fact: When we widen or build new highways from major urban centers,

we
make
sprawl worse. So, we end up with cities like NY & Boston which are
surrounded by dense suburbs. In many cases, the population hasn't

grown,
either. It's just relocated. In places like this, trains are ideal.

Cost is subjective, I guess. It certainly makes no sense to NOT

build
light
rail systems if only SOME people think it's expensive. Lots of

people
in
big
cities feel no need to own a car.

[...]

Ahh, yes...those pesky union contracts that call for decent wages,

hours
and working conditions. Perhaps, Bill, you could hire a labor

contractor
from India who would hire some daytrippers to run your trains.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

In this state, the present governor and his legislature have sold out to

the
unions. Make rules that raise the price of construction on public

contracts
sky high. Pay levels higher than 95% of jobs requiring a college

education.
Bill

Well, many construction jobs do require skill, Bill.

--
* * *
email sent to

Harry Krause

Calif Bill wrote:

I can teach a guy to frame a house a whole lot faster and easier than
teaching him the engineering of same building. Sure the apprentices take
some tech courses, but no where near the amount needed for a degree. Maybe
an AA if they also took 30 semester units of liberal arts courses and 14
units of advanced math / english.

Uh-huh. Try apprenticing in the electrical trades.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What is the most reliable power set up for a powerboat? Nekto Poli General 1 July 31st 03 04:13 PM
Power Trim Gazunni General 2 July 31st 03 02:42 AM
Power Trim Gazunni General 0 July 30th 03 01:14 AM
94' OMC 115 loses power after first 5 minutes Jacob Morgan General 0 July 13th 03 04:15 PM