Bill Cole

Default OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack. Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way to
start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

"noah" wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2003 23:13:02 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Within the last couple of days they arrested two guys at the Seattle

airport.
One was on the "do not fly" list.
Both had Pakistani passports, and had slipped illegally into the US

across the
Candian border at Blaine.

Both guys paid cash for one-way tickets to NY.

Was it a coincidence that they wanted to be in NY this afternoon?
Probably.

At first, I wondered the same as you did. As this thing unfolds, it
seems that our local northern NY power company, Niagara Mohawk,
experienced a major failure, and knocked down the Northeast grid like
a box of Dominos. Coincidently, Niagara Mohawk was sold to a British
Corporation a few years ago, and service has suffered ever since.

In my opinion, we are vulnerable enough when our utilities are
controlled by corporate interests. We are even more vulnerable, as a
society, when our utilities are controlled by a foreign corporate
interest.

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Regards from the Great, Dark, Northeast,
noah

Joe

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

I hope she returns home safely.
As of now, everything looks pretty calm throughout the City.
Wasn't the case in '77

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Funny, the weather records don't show any storm activity near the plant.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KIAG.html

http://www.weathermatrix.net/2003/08...0308141800.gif

On 14 Aug 2003 18:33:05 -0500, noah
wrote:

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Regards from the Great, Dark, Northeast,
noah

i'm sitting here in allentown, PA listening on VHF to the FDNY handle
the situation. as usual, they are doing a great job. they're
reporting the CG tells them there's a fire on governor's island.
these folks really are the best.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
basskisser

noah wrote in message . ..
[...]

One thing, even though there has been many, many upgrades through the
years, Niagara Mohawk is one of the oldest grids in the U.S. Also, I
heard the lightning theory also, but the National Weather Service said
the closest lightning strike in the area was hundreds of miles away,
in Maryland.
basskisser

"Bill Cole" wrote in message .net...
Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack. Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way to
start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

It was just a THEORY that Gould threw out there, along with facts that
could possibly point in that direction. Do you have any information to
the contrary, to back up YOUR statement that it is "bull****"?
basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message .. .
I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

I hope she returns home safely.
As of now, everything looks pretty calm throughout the City.
Wasn't the case in '77

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Funny, the weather records don't show any storm activity near the plant.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KIAG.html

http://www.weathermatrix.net/2003/08...0308141800.gif

JoeTechnician,
Seeings how you (you think) are the most intelligent, most sought
after engineer (sic) on the planet, hasn't Bush contacted you to get
to the bottom of this? Or perhaps he realizes you are a liar, and are
busy pulling cable.
Bill Cole

Bass,
I was not saying that Gould's theory was bull****, nor do I believe that
Gould necessarily supported the theory. I read Gould's post as a way to
promote an off the cuff discussion (which in my neighborhood was called a
shooting the bull, or bull****).

The only info I have is the same as most of the readers in the NG, the power
experts believe that the problem was not the result of terrorist, but was a
combination of natural factors that overwhelmed the system.

Now, if I said that the power failure was the result of Flying Saucers
stealing our power, do you have any proof that my statement is bull****?

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Bill Cole" wrote in message

.net...
Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in

any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack.

Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way

start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

It was just a THEORY that Gould threw out there, along with facts that
could possibly point in that direction. Do you have any information to
the contrary, to back up YOUR statement that it is "bull****"?

New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What is the most reliable power set up for a powerboat? Nekto Poli General 1 July 31st 03 04:13 PM
Power Trim Gazunni General 2 July 31st 03 02:42 AM
Power Trim Gazunni General 0 July 30th 03 01:14 AM
94' OMC 115 loses power after first 5 minutes Jacob Morgan General 0 July 13th 03 04:15 PM