posted to alt.sailing
Bob Scott

Default Evinrude 6

I've got an old Evinrude 6 hp outboard which is in like new condition.
It has probably had very few hours of running time on it. I had no
problem starting it up even after it had been in storage for possibly
fifteen years! But yesterday I noticed that there wasn't very much
cooling water coming out. When I first started the motor there was a
more or less steady stream of water. But it was actually just dripping
out yesterday afternoon. I continued to run the engine at a moderate
speed (I was out on the lake when I first noticed the problem, and there
was no wind) and it performed normally and didn't seem to be overheated
when I got into the slip. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to
ruin that little motor!
posted to alt.sailing
Robert or Karen Swarts

Just had an almost identical experience. I did replace the impeller ($13)
and it did not solve the problem. Replaced the entire pump ($43), and the
engine now works fine.

BS

"Bob Scott" wrote in message
m...
I've got an old Evinrude 6 hp outboard which is in like new condition. It
has probably had very few hours of running time on it. I had no problem
starting it up even after it had been in storage for possibly fifteen
years! But yesterday I noticed that there wasn't very much cooling water
coming out. When I first started the motor there was a more or less
steady stream of water. But it was actually just dripping out yesterday
afternoon. I continued to run the engine at a moderate speed (I was out
on the lake when I first noticed the problem, and there was no wind) and
it performed normally and didn't seem to be overheated when I got into the
slip. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to ruin that little
motor!

posted to alt.sailing
Bob Scott

Thanks to Mys Terry, Dave Doe, and Robert and Karen Swarts.

Local advice is that there's probably nothing wrong with the impeller.
I was told that the water coming out the back of the engine has never
actually circulated through the engine and that its hose connection is
frequently stopped up by pieces of "chit". My expert informant said
that you could completely stop the flow of water through what he called
the "pee hole" and that it wouldn't affect the flow through the engine.
Is this what is meant by the "indicator"? How hard is it to inspect
the impeller?

Mys Terry wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:14:22 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

In article ,
says...
I've got an old Evinrude 6 hp outboard which is in like new condition.
It has probably had very few hours of running time on it. I had no
problem starting it up even after it had been in storage for possibly
fifteen years! But yesterday I noticed that there wasn't very much
cooling water coming out. When I first started the motor there was a
more or less steady stream of water. But it was actually just dripping
out yesterday afternoon. I continued to run the engine at a moderate
speed (I was out on the lake when I first noticed the problem, and there
was no wind) and it performed normally and didn't seem to be overheated
when I got into the slip. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to
ruin that little motor!

Before you replace the impellor - what about pokin a bit of wire up the
'indicator' - might just be a bit of chit stuck in there.

After that many years, the impeller should be replaced even if it appears to be
working perfectly. If there is a "bit of chit" stuck anywhere it is probably a
piece of the impeller.

posted to alt.sailing
Robert or Karen Swarts

I agree with Terry/Doe in general, but at least in my engine, the water that
exits the pee hole come from the passage down the center of the head, and
should not be blocked under any circumstances.

BS

news

Mys Terry wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing
MMC

I'll third, forth or fifth changing the impeller. They dry and harden over
time and will crack and break up.
The pump is located in the lower unit, I think there are 2 screws to get
this loose, as well as the shift rod connector under the carb.
Best to get a book, but instructions might be available online.
If you want to check if the motor is running hot, you should just be able to
hold your hand on the plate on the side, maybe called the water jacket
cover? What I mean is it will be uncomfortably warm, but not burn.
MMC
"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
You can also remove the thermostat cover from the head of the engine and
pore water back thru the engine to make sure the channel from the pump to
the power head is open.

BS

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...

--
Duncan

posted to alt.sailing
glenn P

If it's dripping out, then you will shorten the length of the engine
considerably. Especially run at high speed.

As others have said, poke a copper wire, or piece of weedeater line up the
hole FIRST. The rubber on the impeller may be dodgy, but it's unlikely to be
the first cause. I've pulled out almost petrified impellers from OBs that
seemed to pump water fine (except at really low revs).

DIY Water pump replacement should cost you around USD$25 and about 20
minutes. As also others have said, it's cheap insurance - but don't expect
it to solve the problem. I also pulled the cooling chambers on an outboard
with "low hours" to find it had a straw's space of circulation around the
head...

m...