posted to alt.sailing
Dave Doe

Default Evinrude 6

In article ,
says...
Thanks to Mys Terry, Dave Doe, and Robert and Karen Swarts.

Local advice is that there's probably nothing wrong with the impeller.
I was told that the water coming out the back of the engine has never
actually circulated through the engine and that its hose connection is
frequently stopped up by pieces of "chit". My expert informant said
that you could completely stop the flow of water through what he called
the "pee hole" and that it wouldn't affect the flow through the engine.
Is this what is meant by the "indicator"? How hard is it to inspect
the impeller?

I would agree w' Mys Terry - for the price of it, get it done and why
not get it completely checked and cleaned out at a service center.

I think that they are correct in that the 'pee hole' (I called it the
'indicator') being blocked doesn't affect the flow of the engine - but
you've lost your means to properly determine the pump has failed or
lines completely blocked. You want it working properly. It also may be
indicative of chit ('in general chit' - that maybe blocking or partly
blocking the lines up (the ones you *don't* want to be blocked, ever!).

I still think you should run it up yourself though and put a bit of wire
up the 'pee hole'.

No idea where the impellor is on the Evinrude, i'm sure someone else
will know.

--
Duncan