NOYB

Default Ayatollah Monaghan sets up shop near Naples, Florida

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
New Florida town would restrict abortion
Domino's founder building community around Catholic university

NAPLES, Florida (AP) -- If Domino's Pizza founder Thomas S. Monaghan has
his way, a new town being built in Florida will be governed according to
strict Roman Catholic principles, with no place to get an abortion,
pornography or birth control.

He's not trying to convert anybody living there. He's taking empty tomato
fields, building a university, and building a town...and telling everybody
who buys there the rules in advance.

Just consider it a big Home Owner's Association.

And you're about 3 days late on this "news".

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
New Florida town would restrict abortion
Domino's founder building community around Catholic university

NAPLES, Florida (AP) -- If Domino's Pizza founder Thomas S. Monaghan has
his way, a new town being built in Florida will be governed according to
strict Roman Catholic principles, with no place to get an abortion,
pornography or birth control.

He's not trying to convert anybody living there. He's taking empty
tomato fields, building a university, and building a town...and telling
everybody who buys there the rules in advance.

Just consider it a big Home Owner's Association.

And you're about 3 days late on this "news".

Well, I hope it turns out as badly as his crappy pizza.

Property in that town is actually going to be very much in demand. You used
to be able to buy property out there for $5-10k per acre. Now it's
$150k+...and you're in the middle of nowhere.

Jeb just attended a ribbon cutting ceremony there two weeks ago.

Right now, students at Ave Maria attend classes at a temporary campus in
Naples set up about 5 or 6 miles from me. We use several of the students as
babysitters...and almost every one of them is part of a family with 10-12
siblings. I doubt the "no condom" and "no abortion" rules would scare any
of those families away.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:
[...]

My problem with this kind of mind control crap is that it is the same sort
of stupidity extant in much of the Moslem world.

That's bull****.

They're not stoning people for transgressions. They're not trying to
assimilate a bunch of people who have been living there their whole lives.
As gfretwell pointed out, it's a 5000 acre gated community...and everybody
knows the rules going in.

This isn't a
Christian Iran, even though some fundies would like to turn it into one.
Another problem is the desire of these religious idiots to try to spread
their control.

Best thing that could happen? After an investment of a few hundred million
dollars, a natural disaster such as a tornado or a hurricane flattens the
place. An act of god that sends a strong message.

There's that wonderful Harry Humanity shining through again.

Calif Bill

NOYB wrote:
[...]

of stupidity extant in much of the Moslem world. This isn't a Christian
Iran, even though some fundies would like to turn it into one.
Another problem is the desire of these religious idiots to try to spread
their control.

Best thing that could happen? After an investment of a few hundred million
dollars, a natural disaster such as a tornado or a hurricane flattens the
place. An act of god that sends a strong message.

It is the choice of people buying there. Not like an Ayatollah saying
everybody that is already here gets a new rulebook.

thunder

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:40:44 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

My problem with this kind of mind control crap is that it is the same sort
of stupidity extant in much of the Moslem world. This isn't a Christian
Iran, even though some fundies would like to turn it into one. Another
problem is the desire of these religious idiots to try to spread their
control.

Geez Harry, this country has had thousands of religious enclaves. This is
nothing new. More power to them, as the cards are stacked against them.
Most of these enclaves collapse under their figurative inbreeding.

Best thing that could happen? After an investment of a few hundred million
dollars, a natural disaster such as a tornado or a hurricane flattens the
place. An act of god that sends a strong message.

Zounds, shades of Pat Robertson.

Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:59:41 GMT in rec.boats, Calif Bill penned the
following thoughts:
It is the choice of people buying there. Not like an Ayatollah saying
everybody that is already here gets a new rulebook.

That was my take, at first reading. However, upon closer examination,
they apparently intend to effectively secede from the state and US and
re-write laws to their liking. I'm also troubled by the specter of
deed restrictions (beyond commercial land), which will surely limit
the freedom of use one might expect from land ownership. When this
endeavor fails, and it surely will, it will likely have an adverse
impact on FL county and state residents for many years to come.

In a non-religious state, religion is voluntary, not mandatory. However
Monaghan sets up his Jesusville, if it tries to enforce code based on
religious beliefs, its headed for a fall. I hope a few "ringers" buy
property there and create endless migraines for him.

If you don't like it don't live there!

Are you against the State of Isreal? There is nothing wrong with a nation
state that wants to be based upon the tenets of a religion. The problem
comes when they nation state starts to interfere with other nations that
don't want to be governed by those religious tenets.

The place for this kind of nonsense is Iran, or some other hellhole in the
Arab Muslim world, where people who disagree feel free to shoot it out or
blow each other up.

And, you should wish the same upon Isreal, as evidence the Jews disrupting
the Christian services in Nazerath the other day. Do you abhor this type of
violence too or do you support it.

Tell you what would be a laugh...getting the names and addresses of some
of the holier-than-thou's that move in there, and sending them gift boxes
of rubbers, dildos and porn movies from Doc Johnson. Then what? No more
deliveries from UPS? Fine...send the next group out via FEDEX.

What is wrong with people chosing a way of life and living it. Why are you
so afraid of people of faith and principle.

I find this especially annoying because we have some really terrific
religious people in our neck of the woods who manage to peacefully coexist
amongst us without trying to impose their beliefs on everyone and without
trying to engage in a land grab so they build up their "promised land."
They're the Amish.

As long as they live in very small enclaves and keep their mouths shut they
are ok?

I encourage you and your extreme left wing brothers to congregate in small
enclaves and keep your mouths shut so that you can live by the example set
by your friends the Amish.

See what happens when you sell really bad pizza to Americans?

I agree that Dominos pizza is the worst of all take out pizza. Thank God we
have Pizza Hut and Pappa John's serving our area.

RCE

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I know this because I grew up in New Haven where the best pizza in the
world is still made at Pepe's, and I've had Pepe's pizza hundreds of
times, and try to get there whenever I'm in the area.

Hey, another blast from the past. Pepe's. Probably the most popular pizza
joint on the east coast.

RCE

Bert Robbins

"RCE" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I know this because I grew up in New Haven where the best pizza in the
world is still made at Pepe's, and I've had Pepe's pizza hundreds of
times, and try to get there whenever I'm in the area.

Hey, another blast from the past. Pepe's. Probably the most popular
pizza joint on the east coast.

Popular does not equate to best.

Startbucks is the most popular coffee but it tastes like dishwater.

Calif Bill

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

They get what they pay for. As to the state, they will get the property
taxes. Can not secede, and there are already lots of religious owned
properties with deed restrictions in the US. Martin Luther Towers in San
Francisco has been there at least 40+ years and is a Lutheran Church owned
building. You buy a condo unit, and I think it reverts to the church on
your death.

Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news
Calif Bill wrote:
[...]

I suspect there will be some interesting legal challenges. It is one thing
for a church to own investment property, and quite another for it to
enforce a "code of morality" in a large community that derives anybenevit
from the state. We're not talkinb about homeowner covenants that say you
can't paint your front door bright orange.

Yes, we are talking covenants. The land owner is placing covenants on the
use of the property. What is the difference between this and Columbia, MD,
Reston, VA or Montgomery Village, MD?

Seems to me some crazed vigilante-superpatriot-jesusfreak group tried to
do this in some town in the upper midwest and it didn't turn out well.

Heck, there are nation states that have done this and a couple of examples
are Isreal and Iran. What's the difference between the two?