Don White

Default OT You were right Harry!

A week ago a few of us were discussing HD television sets.
In the meantime my mom's older Sears 27" is starting to act up & I was
trying to convince her to buy a LCD version.
Yesterday, my JVC 27" went south. I've had a bad solder connection for
years....since just after the 3 year warranty expired.
All I had to do was slap it upside the case and it straightened out.
Now, after a few minutes, all I have is about a half inch high picture
stretched across the middle of the screen. I'm guessing it's the
horizontal hold control.
Anyway the TV is 8 years old and I'm anxious to upgrade to HD so I dug
out my Consumer Reports magazines and started reading.
To my surprise, they say the newer HD CRT sets have the best picture,
give the best black contrast, better viewing from any angle and have a
proven reliability record...... plus they are half the price of LED sets.
I called a local SONY store and the salesperson confirmed that this is
true...she stated that the best HD CRT set was better than their new
Bravia LCD model...which is darn good.
The downside of course is the size of the unit (depth) and the
substantial weight.
That store is sold out of the 30" wide screen model I want until the end
of the month. I'll start shopping around.

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:
[...]

There's really nothing better than a really good CRT HD if what you are

The thing I really like about CRT HD is the wide viewing angle. Most
LCD's have quite a narrow angle, you need to just about be in front of
it, and at the right height. My brother in law got a huge LCD wall
mounted unit, only to find out that he couldn't sit on the floor with
his kids and watch it!

JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:
[...]

The height thing is a pain in the ass, to be sure
The LCD and plasma TVs look very good at the right viewing angles, but the
glass tubes still outperform them.

This is good information. Thanks guys.

Don White

wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

If you are checking out LCD HDTVs... look at the Sony Bravia. I
walked side to side and it was great at all viewing angles. Very pricy
though. I figure by the time I wear out a new HD Wide Screen CRT set
(6-8 years), LCDs should be much improved and more reasonably priced.
Eisboch

"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

Some of the Sony displays utilize a multi-layer coating by 3M that reduces
glare and enhances the brightness of the display. Many LCD displays use a
dipped, Gel type anti-reflection coating. The 3-M coating, although
superior, is more expensive to apply.

I recently "retired" an old, 32-inch JVC color TV monitor that had an
absolutely beautiful display. Colors were natural and rich, better than any
of the new LCD or Plasma displays that I've seen. It didn't have a tuner -
it was just a monitor and was "on" all the time, displaying a black screen
unless it was getting a video input. It finally died and when I pulled it
out (weighed about 200 lbs) I noticed the date of manufacture ..... Nov,
1988.

Eisboch

Don White

Eisboch wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

That's the other important consideration. Proven reliability vs ??.
Consumer Reports says 1 year old LCDs have been very reliable....but
can't comment on long term durability.
When I was working, our technicians would keep the monitors on year
after year unless something failed. Seems the act of turning off & on
might slightly stress certain components.
Reggie Smithers

Don White wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

They estimate a perfect LCD or plasma will last about 10 yrs.

--
Reggie
******
Eisboch

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
news
They estimate a perfect LCD or plasma will last about 10 yrs.

--
Reggie
******

Samsung claims that the plasma display of their units will last 60,000 hours
or approximately 26 years using it an average of 6 hours a day. It makes
sense to me given that the plasma pixel is simply a contained mini cell of
gas that becomes ionized when used. In the process of ionization light is
emitted. Once the ionizing potential is removed, the gas reverts back to
it's original state. There is no consumable component as long as the gas
does not leak out. Conventional cathode ray tubes emit electrons from a
filament that eventually will break or simply thin to a point of becoming
unusable.

Other components (power supplies, etc.) will crap out long before then.

Eisboch

Reggie Smithers

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Richard,
I had a salesman tell me the expected life of both plasma and LCD was 8
- 10 yrs. Since I couldn't imagine them underestimated the life, I went
searching on the Internet to see what I could find. It seems the
manufacturer. orginally underestimated the lifespan. According to this
article, you are basically correct. They did disagree that the gas
reverts back to the original state, they state it will lose it's
brightness over time, but very gradually, after 50,000 hrs, it will be
at 50% of brightness. By that time, we be watching hologram TV.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...matv-life.html

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...-lifespan.html

--
Reggie
******
Skipper

Reggie Smithers wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

[...]

There is also quite a bulb cost delta between the technologies. Have
been told the current best value is Samsung's 50" DLP.

--
Skipper