Don White

Default OT You were right Harry!

wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:

A week ago a few of us were discussing HD television sets.
In the meantime my mom's older Sears 27" is starting to act up & I was
trying to convince her to buy a LCD version.
Yesterday, my JVC 27" went south. I've had a bad solder connection for
years....since just after the 3 year warranty expired.
All I had to do was slap it upside the case and it straightened out.
Now, after a few minutes, all I have is about a half inch high picture
stretched across the middle of the screen. I'm guessing it's the
horizontal hold control.
Anyway the TV is 8 years old and I'm anxious to upgrade to HD so I dug
out my Consumer Reports magazines and started reading.
To my surprise, they say the newer HD CRT sets have the best picture,
give the best black contrast, better viewing from any angle and have a
proven reliability record...... plus they are half the price of LED sets.
I called a local SONY store and the salesperson confirmed that this is
true...she stated that the best HD CRT set was better than their new
Bravia LCD model...which is darn good.
The downside of course is the size of the unit (depth) and the
substantial weight.
That store is sold out of the 30" wide screen model I want until the end
of the month. I'll start shopping around.

There's really nothing better than a really good CRT HD if what you are

The thing I really like about CRT HD is the wide viewing angle. Most
LCD's have quite a narrow angle, you need to just about be in front of
it, and at the right height. My brother in law got a huge LCD wall
mounted unit, only to find out that he couldn't sit on the floor with
his kids and watch it!

If you are checking out LCD HDTVs... look at the Sony Bravia. I
walked side to side and it was great at all viewing angles. Very pricy
though. I figure by the time I wear out a new HD Wide Screen CRT set
(6-8 years), LCDs should be much improved and more reasonably priced.