JimH

Default OT You were right Harry!

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Skipper" wrote in message

Advantage: DLP

--
Skipper

I think viewing habits must be considered as part of the compromise you
speak of.
For me, I doubt I watch the HD plasma set more than 6 hours a week, not a
day.
I am watching more of the Discovery channel and an occasional sports
event (or non-event in the case of the Patriots).

I spend more time watching and listening to music videos, and that's only
once or twice a week. BTW - for the new guitar hobbyists in the NG -
highly recommend the Eric Clapton "Crossroads" guitar festival DVD
(Reprise records). Two disk set, featuring some of the finest
contemporary guitarists including Clapton to B.B. King, Carlos Santana
and a sober Joe Walsh among many others. For those with good sound
systems, the audio options include 2 channel, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS
(recommended).

Eisboch

For me.........some local and cable news, some PBS programs like NOVA,
some shows on A&E, the History Channel or Discovery as well as some old
Seinfeld or Everybody Loves Raymond episodes. Perhaps 12 hours/week.
My wife OTOH is hooked on TV and always has been. And we both watch
DVD's, perhaps one or two per week.

We have 10 TV's in our house, all connected to cable:

Basement: My wife's office, the TV/sitting room, the game room area
(soon to add another at the treadmill).
Main Floor: Family room, kitchen, my office.
2nd Floor: All 4 bedrooms

I think this discussion/thread has talked me out of considering a plasma
HD set. While there is no way we are going to buy new HD for all these
rooms. I may consider replacing the 32" RCA TV we have in the family room
(now 14 years old but still working fine) in the near future, most likely
with a 36" HD CRT set. ;-)

Wouldn't wait too long on that 36" CRT set. According to Consumers, most
manufacturers are dropping the big tube models. You may be restricted to
32" max in the near future.

OK. Thanks!

Skipper

Eisboch wrote:

"Skipper" wrote...

Advantage: DLP

I think viewing habits must be considered as part of the compromise you
speak of.

For me, I doubt I watch the HD plasma set more than 6 hours a week, not a
day.

Believe you have indeed hit the nail on the head. And I'd add that one
should be knowing of tradoffs...and that DLP DOES represent the best
value for heavy users or those on budgets today.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Don White wrote:

I wondered about those little mirrors. Don't they turn to either reflect
or avoid light from the bulb. Would that be a potential problem?
Who's gonna clean those thousand little mirrors?

Same gremlin who turns those byte bits in your computer on and off.

--
Skipper
JimH

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Skipper" wrote in message

Advantage: DLP

--
[...]

I bought my SONY HD at Circuit City. It wasn't on sale. At the point of
sale, I asked the salesman "is that the best you can do on price?" He
knocked $250 off the price.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Indeed.

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I agree
that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend the
bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it is not that
important to me and my wife is quite content.

Eisboch

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I
agree that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend
the bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it is not
that important to me and my wife is quite content.

So was Mrs.E and me until my big-mouthed son turned us onto the HD thing.
Can't go back now.

Eisboch

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Joe's been dry for some time now.

I think he dried out somewhere between the "Hell Freezes Over" and the
"Farewell Live From Melbourne Tour" albums.

Eisboch

Skipper

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I agree
that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend the
bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service.

The delta from Cox to upgrade from digital to HD is 4 bucks a
month...converter and service.

--
Skipper
JimH

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I
agree that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to
spend the bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it
is not that important to me and my wife is quite content.

So was Mrs.E and me until my big-mouthed son turned us onto the HD thing.
Can't go back now.

Eisboch

Every time I walk into retail stores like Best Buy or Circuit City that have
the HD TV's in view as you walk into the store I am blown away.
But...........I still cannot justify the cost.

Perhaps in another few years. ;-)

Skipper

JimH wrote:

Every time I walk into retail stores like Best Buy or Circuit City that have
the HD TV's in view as you walk into the store I am blown away.
But...........I still cannot justify the cost.

You could be blown away for 4 bucks a month if you have digital now.

--
Skipper
JohnH

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:10:38 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:54 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
m...

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I
agree that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend
the bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it is not
that important to me and my wife is quite content.

So was Mrs.E and me until my big-mouthed son turned us onto the HD thing.
Can't go back now.

i cant tell the difference.

Take the pillow away from the front of your face.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******