JohnH

Default OT You were right Harry!

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:11:11 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:06:57 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:26:10 GMT, Don White wrote:

JimH wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Skipper" wrote in message

Advantage: DLP

--
Skipper

I think viewing habits must be considered as part of the compromise
you speak of.
For me, I doubt I watch the HD plasma set more than 6 hours a week,
not a day.
I am watching more of the Discovery channel and an occasional sports
event (or non-event in the case of the Patriots).

I spend more time watching and listening to music videos, and that's
only once or twice a week. BTW - for the new guitar hobbyists in the
NG - highly recommend the Eric Clapton "Crossroads" guitar festival
DVD (Reprise records). Two disk set, featuring some of the finest
contemporary guitarists including Clapton to B.B. King, Carlos Santana
and a sober Joe Walsh among many others. For those with good sound
systems, the audio options include 2 channel, Dolby Digital 5.1 and
DTS (recommended).

Eisboch

For me.........some local and cable news, some PBS programs like NOVA,
some shows on A&E, the History Channel or Discovery as well as some old
Seinfeld or Everybody Loves Raymond episodes. Perhaps 12 hours/week.
My wife OTOH is hooked on TV and always has been. And we both watch
DVD's, perhaps one or two per week.

We have 10 TV's in our house, all connected to cable:

Basement: My wife's office, the TV/sitting room, the game room area
(soon to add another at the treadmill).
Main Floor: Family room, kitchen, my office.
2nd Floor: All 4 bedrooms

I think this discussion/thread has talked me out of considering a
plasma HD set. While there is no way we are going to buy new HD for
all these rooms. I may consider replacing the 32" RCA TV we have in the
family room (now 14 years old but still working fine) in the near
future, most likely with a 36" HD CRT set. ;-)

Wouldn't wait too long on that 36" CRT set. According to Consumers, most
manufacturers are dropping the big tube models. You may be restricted
to 32" max in the near future.

OK. Thanks!

I bought my SONY HD at Circuit City. It wasn't on sale. At the point of
sale, I asked the salesman "is that the best you can do on price?" He
knocked $250 off the price.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Indeed.

But...........I do not intend to purchase a HD set until I have to. I agree
that the digital HD picture is spectacular but I don't want to spend the
bucks right now to upgrade both my TV and cable service....it is not that
important to me and my wife is quite content.

Tried Sears tonight...they don't have the CRT HD model I want.
Went back to the Sony store and kept the salesman dancing.
They had my model on display, but I balked at the extra $400.00 for the
matching stand. Then he tried to convince me we'd be just as happy with
the 26" Bravia LCD model. The wife balked....no way she wanted to go
smaller. Best deal he could give me on the 32" Bravia LCD model was
$2600.00 which included the extended warranty. I got cold feet
then...and we ended back at the CRT model for $ 1200.00.
Figure we can get a stand somewhere cheaper and better (for housing
cable box, DVD player, Home Theater receiver).
He's got my number & will call when units arrive.
In the meantime I have to suffer with a 20" set.

So which model did you get? I got the stand with mine, and I'm glad I did.
It has shelves for the accessories and 'fits' the footprint of the TV so it
will slide back into a corner pretty well. Maybe he'd deal on the stand a
little.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******

Haven't bought a set yet. I may look around to see if Costco, The
Brick, Future Shop or one of the other 'big box' stores in our retail
industrial park have my model.
If not I can always 'order' the set I want by putting 20% down upfront.
The other option is to wait a few weeks when stock should be back up to
pre Christmas levels.

Sorry, I meant which model Sony did you settle on?
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******

Pretty well settled on this one.
http://tinyurl.com/5coya

I think you'll love it!
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
JohnH

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:36:56 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:33:26 -0500, JohnH wrote:

If you can't tell the difference in a comparison like this, then you *do*
have an eyeball problem. Does everything appear a little fuzzy and soft
around the edges?

not at all. although i wonder....

hmmmm....

im going to experiment with something today - youve given me an idea.

Like Eisboch, I'll be looking forward to a 'holy ****' post later today.
Did you get a digital box from the cable company so you can receive HD?

turns out you have to additionally subscribe to hd - which turns out
we never did - apparently its not automatic.

no holy **** post though - im not all that impressed.

maybe its because im not much of a tv watcher.

my wife likes it though.

I think we pay about $5 a month extra for the digital service, plus another
$2 for the digital box. Now my wife wants TIVO, which she thinks Cox is
offering, at some ridiculous price, of course.

You'll love it once you get it. You won't love the bill, but hey, that's
life in the fast lane. Right now Cox is costing me $106 every month.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
JohnH

wrote:

[...]

as i said, the wife likes it. im not much for tv anyway except for
news and i dont need to watch that in hd.

im just not impressed with it - its nice and the picture - now - is
crisp, clear and fairly decent, but i just dont get the wow factor.

its just me.

Wait a minute, if you haven't seen it yet, how do you know you're not
impressed with it?
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

turns out you have to additionally subscribe to hd - which turns out
we never did - apparently its not automatic.

**Duh!**

no holy **** post though - im not all that impressed.

**you will be..or I'll take it off your hands for you**

wrote:

[...]

He's made up his mind that he won't be impressed. Too bad a couple of
us couldn't be there when he watches his first HD nature show..... or
even a football game. I'm betting, as sour as he is,...that he'll crack
a smile ear to ear.

JohnH

wrote:

[...]

its called customer service - you call up, they initiate the little hd
box - presto - you have hd service.

we never actually signed up for the service - just had the box
installed.

OK. Now I understand. You wouldn't be impressed if you had an IMAX in your
basement, would you?

: )
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Eisboch

"Don White" wrote in message
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

turns out you have to additionally subscribe to hd - which turns out
we never did - apparently its not automatic.

no holy **** post though - im not all that impressed.

maybe its because im not much of a tv watcher.

my wife likes it though.

I suspect you're still not getting real HD. Betcha, betcha.

Eisboch

Eisboch

i am planning on watching the pittsburgh game tomorrow while the wife
is out at her hen party. ill report back.

The report better be good, or I am driving down there to figure out what the
heck is wrong with your system! :-)

Eisboch

Netsock

I am a Sony man.

Wega Trinitron tubes are indeed the best out there. My 3 main sets are
an older (480i) KV36, which is a 4:3 set, but has an option to
"sharpen" its resolution when watching 16:9 DVD, by setting it up that
way. This set in now in the basement, running an Play Station and an
xBox for the kids, along with an older Sony single-disk DVD player.

All the Trinitron set are very heavy, due to the lead used in the
front of the tube, however, this is how Sony gets its great blacks and
contrast. My set above is over 225lbs.

I also have a Sony KD (I think) 34 XBR set residing in the rec room.
What a sweet set that thing is...it was my main set prior to my last
purchase. Its plumbed to a high end Phillips DVD/AM/FM/MP3/CD/JPEG
player/amp with 5+1 surround sound.

My most recent purchase fore the family room, is a Sony KDS50 HD Grand
Wega XRB SXRD. It has the absolute best blacks and contrast I've seen
in any non-tube. I ve got it patched to a Bose Life Style 28 II for
absolute stunning sound.

And don't waste your time with expensive HDMI cable just yet. While
the have more bandwidth, they are designed for future inter-device
communications, and can not enhance an any better picture quality than
component RGB cables can, at 1080i.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/
Netsock

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:19:04 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

I bought my SONY HD at Circuit City. It wasn't on sale. At the point of
sale, I asked the salesman "is that the best you can do on price?" He
knocked $250 off the price.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

What model did u buy?
__