Jack Goff

Default First outing of the year!

Everything came together yesterday, and we got in our first boat
outing of 2006. The weather here in SC was in the high 60's, and we
had a clear, blue sky. Calm winds left the water about as smooth as
we ever see it here on Lake Murray.

The boat fired up on the first try, and we eased out of the slip. My
wife was OK until we got out of the cove where the marina is, then hit
the big water (yes, Lake murray does have a large, open body of water
for an inland lake). Then, the temperature seemed to drop 10 degrees
and she was cold. Oh well, we still cruised around for a while then
put her back up.

They are dropping the water level about 15 feet for the next couple of
months to repair/replace some rip-rap on the face of the dam, so this
is probably the last time out for a while. It's gonna seem like
forever before that water warms back up.

Oh, and although I rarely post here, I do read this NG pretty much
every day. This place is great now that you regulars have cleaned it
up! Congrats to everyone for taking back the NG from the misfits.
It's been a pleasure to read lately. Carry on!

Jack

JimH

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
[...]

Glad to hear you being able to get out on the water. Us folks up north can
only dream of that right now.

JohnH

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:18:15 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

[...]

Nice to hear your outing went well. Did you do any fishing?

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Jack Goff

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:19:52 -0500, JohnH wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:18:15 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

Everything came together yesterday, and we got in our first boat
outing of 2006. The weather here in SC was in the high 60's, and we
had a clear, blue sky. Calm winds left the water about as smooth as
we ever see it here on Lake Murray.

snip

Nice to hear your outing went well. Did you do any fishing?

Nope, I'm not much of a fisherman. We love the water when we're
skiing, tubing, just floating around, and eating and drinking while
watching the sun go down. I have a rod and reel and a lightly
outfitted tackle box on board, but it rarely gets used.

Half the time we ride out, cut the motor, and just drift while talking
and enjoying each other's company. My wife and I are best friends...
screw the fish, it's hard to beat that!

Jack
Jack Redington

Jack Goff wrote:

[...]

Good old lake Murry, If you were by the dam I guess you were by "Bomb"
island. that is a pretty wide and long piece of water for sure. We
purchased our first boat from Mid Carolina marine when we lived just
outside of Lexington (about two miles from Lake Murry)

When they dropped the lake to get ride of the hydrilla problem did that
work ? We moved to Atlanta that year so we had not been back there since.

Capt Jack R..

Jack Goff

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:33:06 GMT, Jack Redington
wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:

Good old lake Murry, If you were by the dam I guess you were by "Bomb"
island. that is a pretty wide and long piece of water for sure. We
purchased our first boat from Mid Carolina marine when we lived just
outside of Lexington (about two miles from Lake Murry)

When they dropped the lake to get ride of the hydrilla problem did that
work ? We moved to Atlanta that year so we had not been back there since.

Capt Jack R..

Yep, that's exactly the area of the lake we were on. We keep the boat
at Jake's Landing.

They kept lowering the water level and spraying for the hydrilla, but
it didn't help much. They finally put in some Grass Carp last year,
and that's supposed to take care of the problem. They are sneaking up
up the required number of carp to do the job, so they don't overun and
eat away all of the cover for the other fish. The carp are sterile so
they have to be replenished.

Watching the Purple Martins come back to roost in the evenings on Bomb
Island is a treat, isn't it? Amazing that those birds picked that one
island in the middle of the lake for their summer home.

Jack
Charlie Brown

I was out on the Irmo side Saturday fishing off the dock. I was
definitely missing the boat! (I just posted message about tilt/trim so
won't be on the lake for a while).

With the water level about to be lowered, is that going to prevent
some decent boating???

Do you live in Lexington?

Jack R: What part of town did you live in? We just moved into
Governor's Grant.

wrote:

[...]

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:58:55 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I was out on the Irmo side Saturday fishing off the dock. I was
definitely missing the boat! (I just posted message about tilt/trim so
won't be on the lake for a while).

With the water level about to be lowered, is that going to prevent
some decent boating???

Do you live in Lexington?

It's only going to be down for a couple of months. They are dropping
it about the same amount as while they built the backup dam, and that
never stopped us. Only bad thing is that they moved the shoal markers
then, but they won't during this short draw-down. I remember the
places to avoid, but if you weren't out there during that time you'd
better be careful. It's a fairly rocky lake in areas, so you won't
just scratch your prop, you'll bend it or lose big chunks!

Smedley Darlington Butler - USMC, Awarded two congressional medals of honor Icon O'Clast General 5 December 18th 05 05:23 PM
Need a Plan to Protect Boat from UV and Mildew All Year Round - 2 [email protected] General 2 December 15th 05 06:25 AM
Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
Best Day Sailing This Year Bart Senior ASA 28 November 2nd 05 04:16 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM