Dene

Default 25' Starcraft Cruiser

Thinking of offering 20k on this one. Any non-political advice?? ;

http://tinyurl.com/72f63

-Greg

Perry

Thanks for pointing out " www.nada.com " . I have been trying to price out a
boat that a private party has for sale. Never did find one on the net.
nothing turned up. Discovered I was about to over-pay by a good margin.
Great resource.

Thinking of offering 20k on this one. Any non-political advice?? ;

Well.... first, I have to admit that I don't know much about this
boat.... I've never seen one. I am a bit leery, however, since this
particular boat was built by Brunswick and, well, at that time they
certainly weren't into quality construction and materials. My
suggestion is to check www.nada.com . They seem to suggest $12,580 for
low retail and 15,160 for average retail. That is with no options, so
you can bump up accordingly with respect to those installed options
you value. Another factor affecting the value is that I plugged in a
coastal NC zip code... your local zip will likely affect the price.

Ask people at your local marina, too. Oh, PS..... if that engine is
not fresh water cooled and it has been in salt water for 10 years.....
you might have potential rust problems....

Dene

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:39:25 -0700, "Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com
wrote:

Thinking of offering 20k on this one. Any non-political advice?? ;

Well.... first, I have to admit that I don't know much about this
boat.... I've never seen one. I am a bit leery, however, since this
particular boat was built by Brunswick and, well, at that time they
certainly weren't into quality construction and materials. My
suggestion is to check www.nada.com . They seem to suggest $12,580 for
low retail and 15,160 for average retail. That is with no options, so
you can bump up accordingly with respect to those installed options
you value. Another factor affecting the value is that I plugged in a
coastal NC zip code... your local zip will likely affect the price.

Ask people at your local marina, too. Oh, PS..... if that engine is
not fresh water cooled and it has been in salt water for 10 years.....
you might have potential rust problems....

Prices are 15% higher in Portland Oregon due to fresh water conditions.
NADA priced it a 20k with all the goodies, which is what we'll offer. My
wife saw it today and gave the "wow" reaction. The boat has been very well
cared for. Excellent design all through out....smart use of space.
Reminded me a lot of the Maxum. Being six foot, I really appreciated that I
could walk around in the cabin.

BTW....it does have fresh water cooling. Needs GPS and bottom
paint....that's it. Any suggestions on GPS?

Re. quality. Brokers put it in the middle between Sea Ray and Bayliner.
Along the lines of a Monterrey.

Doesn't Brunswick own Sea Ray?

-Greg

wrote:

[...]

Brunswick owns a lot of trademarks. Including Sea Ray, Hatteras, Boston
Whaler, Bayliner, Meridian, etc........ You can't just make a blanket
statement about "Brunswick" quality.

No heat? You will want to add at least a Red Dot heater unless you plan
to boat strictly in the summer months.

If you want to pay $20k, start off a bit less. $20k is maybe OK for
that boat if it's just clean as a whistle, but otherwise it might be a
tad on the high side. Expect to get "bumped" with a counter not matter
what you offer....(If you went in at $22k, you'd probably get countered
at $22.5k). Don't insult the seller by getting all stupid, but just as
he has left some "room" in his price to come down a bit, it's good
practice to leave just a little room in your offer to come up.

The good news here is that you can't ve very far off the market on a
boat in that price range. If you miss the market by 20%, you still
haven't overspent by any really important amount of
money......(certainly not when the total cost of owning and enjoying a
boat is considered). It's the guy who's spending
$800k who will be taking a serious beating if he miscalculates by that
same 20%.

Dene

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brunswick owns a lot of trademarks. Including Sea Ray, Hatteras, Boston
Whaler, Bayliner, Meridian, etc........ You can't just make a blanket
statement about "Brunswick" quality.

Whew!

No heat? You will want to add at least a Red Dot heater unless you plan
to boat strictly in the summer months.

Actually, we're leaning to just using a portable catalytic heater. This
will allow us to warm the boat without turning the engine on. We envision a
lot of anchoring, sticking a line in the water, and reading.

If you want to pay $20k, start off a bit less. $20k is maybe OK for
that boat if it's just clean as a whistle, but otherwise it might be a
tad on the high side. Expect to get "bumped" with a counter not matter
what you offer....(If you went in at $22k, you'd probably get countered
at $22.5k). Don't insult the seller by getting all stupid, but just as
he has left some "room" in his price to come down a bit, it's good
practice to leave just a little room in your offer to come up.

The broker is a friend of the seller. He's confident that he will take 20k.
Very motivated to sell, due to age. Wants to get out.

The good news here is that you can't ve very far off the market on a
boat in that price range. If you miss the market by 20%, you still
haven't overspent by any really important amount of
money......(certainly not when the total cost of owning and enjoying a
boat is considered). It's the guy who's spending
$800k who will be taking a serious beating if he miscalculates by that
same 20%.

Well said. Also, I like the idea that we can deduct this as a 2nd home.

-Greg

Gene Kearns wrote:
On 25 Oct 2005 21:29:15 -0700, wrote:

Brunswick owns a lot of trademarks. Including Sea Ray, Hatteras, Boston
Whaler, Bayliner, Meridian, etc........ You can't just make a blanket
statement about "Brunswick" quality.

Nice twist. What I said was, "since this particular boat was built by
Brunswick and, well, at that time [1996] they certainly weren't into
quality construction and materials."

In 1996, Brunswick was noted for making price point boats... not
quality boats. They didn't own Hatteras or Boston Whaler (which,
according to their president, were bought to fill in the "white
space") and they hadn't invented the term "Meridian" to distance
themselves from the Bayliner (quality) name in the larger boats.

White space, historically for Brunswick, has been quality.

Brunswick has acquired an amazingly extensive list of boating brand
names in their attempt to be everything to everyone; vertical
marketing gone crazy. Their name doesn't imply *anything* specific in
2005.... other than, perhaps, really, really big company.

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Gene:

1) It's a $20k boat. "Quality" has to be evaluated within context of
what the boat was designed to do. It's no blue water battle wagon, nor
is any other boat for sale at that kind of money- regardless of mfgr.

2) I don't know anything specifically about Starcraft. It may be a
company that
Brunswick bought out somewhere along the line top pick up the mfg
plant. (i.e. Fiberform). Do you know anything specific about Starcraft?
If not, I maintain it's something of a stretch to imply that the
quality is automatically substandard because it was built in 1996 by a
company that was owned by Brunswick.

3) Brunswick bought Sea Ray in 1986. If the OP were buying a Sea Ray,
would you relegate it to substandard status because it was a Brunswick
product, or would a Sea Ray of that age in good condition possibly be a
pretty smart buy at $20k? Not to say that Starcraft is/was a Sea
Ray......but why just assume it was no better than the Bayliners of 10
years ago, or worse?

53' World Cruiser for only $45,000 Smith Smithers General 17 October 25th 05 01:20 PM
My idea of a cruiser John Cairns ASA 0 October 21st 05 11:10 PM
Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM
FS: 05 Rinker 410 Express Cruiser in Northern California Matt Toly Marketplace 0 October 19th 05 02:15 AM