Smith Smithers

Default 53' World Cruiser for only $45,000

And they said it couldn't be done. I am sure this boat is a real beauty.
; )

http://www.yachtshare.com/cgi-bin/di...small?bid=1871

General Information & Features

Wow! This is a lot of boat for a potential conversion! She is a BUY BACK
VESSEL - THERE ARE ONLY A FEW LEFT AT ONE THIRD THE NORMAL PRICE, ESPECIALLY
FOR THIS STEEL BOAT. CANNOT BE COMMERCIALLY FISHED WORLD WIDE. But with such
a comfortable cabin and a new 12V71 main in 2000, she'd be a super-capable
global boat for private cruising, or maybe used in educational, research
capacities or? Her salty lines would well accommodate a house extension and
look great; 20kW Northern Lights genset was installed NEW in 2002. Full
electronics on board, complete galley, head with shower - it is all there
and at a great price too! See her basic specifications and color photos
online here, then CALL for additional details and an appointment to go
aboard...

Smith Smithers wrote:
[...]

Hey, maybe some "ethical" broker will suggest this to an inexperienced
recreational cruiser with a budget under $200k. By the time the poor
sap realizes that it's going to cost another $250k to get rid of the
fish smell and
complete even the crudest conversion to a "yacht", the check will be
cashed and the commission long ago spent. :-)

We have a bunch of these up this way. Old wooden and steel fishboats
that various governments bought back from commercial fishermen in order
to reduce the number of permits in circulation. They're nearly all
"projects", but some of these questionable vessels have sold for next
to nothing at public auctions.
If a guy can do most of the work himself and isn't very picky about how
his "finished" boat looks, a hull like this might be a decent starting
place (if it surveys well).

Smith Smithers

I wonder what the broker meant when he said it was a "BUY BACK", does that
mean he will sell it for you when you realize how much it will cost to refit
the boat?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Smith Smithers wrote:
[...]

Skipper

Smith Smithers wrote:

And they said it couldn't be done. I am sure this boat is a real beauty.

http://www.yachtshare.com/cgi-bin/di...small?bid=1871

Here are a couple others:

http://tinyurl.com/d5bqa http://tinyurl.com/9q3rx

--
Skipper
Smith Smithers

Skipper,

Have you purchased a boat or have you decided not to cruise?

Some of the best bargains for used sailboats are in the Caribbean. People
buy a boat, decide the cruising life is for them and after a few months,
they put their boat on the market and head back to the states.

Skipper wrote:
Smith Smithers wrote:

And they said it couldn't be done. I am sure this boat is a real beauty.

http://www.yachtshare.com/cgi-bin/di...small?bid=1871

Here are a couple others:

http://tinyurl.com/d5bqa http://tinyurl.com/9q3rx

--
Skipper

Both shallow draft, semi-displacement hulls. Fine for the inland
passage or the ICW, but less desirable than a displacement hull for
actual bluewater cruising.

Skipper

Smith Smithers wrote:

Some of the best bargains for used sailboats are in the Caribbean. People
buy a boat, decide the cruising life is for them and after a few months,
they put their boat on the market and head back to the states.

Can't say I blame them if their cruising experience was limited to the
East Coast and Caribbean. Same ol', same ol', if you know what I mean.
Those with REAL adventure in their bones eventually migrate to the
better Pacific climes...the Cortez, the Great North Waste, the South
Pacific, Hawaii (and NOT flying offseason class).

And I do agree that sail is the way to go.

--
Skipper

Smith Smithers

Harry,
If Skipper is really in a wheelchair, wouldn't you feel bad making fun of
him?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Skipper wrote:
Smith Smithers wrote:

Some of the best bargains for used sailboats are in the Caribbean.
People
buy a boat, decide the cruising life is for them and after a few months,
they put their boat on the market and head back to the states.

Can't say I blame them if their cruising experience was limited to the
East Coast and Caribbean. Same ol', same ol', if you know what I mean.
Those with REAL adventure in their bones eventually migrate to the
better Pacific climes.

It must warm the heart of a wheelchair-bound troller like you who lives in
Derby, Kansas, to read about the "adventures" of boaters who live on or
near the ocean.