charliekilo

Default Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant)

I'm considering the purchase of a performance cruiser in the 40-42 foot
range: I'm looking at Sea Ray, Cruisers, Formula and Rinker all with
gasoline engines. I realize that gasoline engines can pose more of a fire
hazard than diesel but what I'm curious about is in modern vessels, how
significant is the difference in the danger?

The boat will be used more as a weekend getaway on a medium-sized inland
lake than as a cruiser so I thought gas engines would be more economical in
the mid to short-term. i.e. rather significant lower cost of acquisition.

Don White

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:36:19 GMT, "charliekilo"
said:

I realize that gasoline engines can pose more of a fire
hazard than diesel but what I'm curious about is in modern vessels, how
significant is the difference in the danger?

I've personally seen one boat with gas engine go up in flames while fueling,
and on of my wife's MDs lost part of a leg when another one did the same.
What's your tolerance for risk?

Not to mention..exploding.
Happens around here every once & a while.
Peggie Hall

said:

I realize that gasoline engines can pose more of a fire hazard than
diesel but what I'm curious about is in modern vessels, how
significant is the difference in the danger?

According to BOAT/US research, fuel is responsible for only 8% of boat
fires. Wiring/electrical systems are the main culprit, accounting for
55%. You can read the details he
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fire/default.asp

I'd guess that at least 90% of the 8% that were the result of a fuel
leak are the result of owner/operator stupidity--failure to bother to
learn--or follow if they do know--such basic safety procedures as
running blowers after fueling before starting the engine(s).

So the REAL question isn't "what's your tolerance for risk"...it's "are
to you too much of an idiot to learn and follow a few simple
rules"...'cuz your odds of getting killed in a traffic accident on your
way to and from the marina are a LOT higher than a gas related fire
aboard if you use your brain as more than a hat rack.

Fwiw, I've owned gas powered boats all my life.

--
Peggie
----------
Capri

If you religisoulsly (sp?) use a blower for at least 5 min before
starting a gas engine in order to remove any fumes from the bilge or
engine compartment, no one on board smokes and your galley is placed
well away from the engine compartment you will probably never have a
problem. The main thing is there will always be the risk of a
horrendous explosion/fire with gas that just does not exist with a
deisel engine. If the boat you are falling in love with has a gas
engine and you can tolerate the risk, I'd say go for it but I'd look
mighty hard for something else with deisel power.

Gas engines can be almost as safe as diesel if they are properly
maintained and operated. In my opinion that should not be the deciding
factor. The real issues are power, torque, range and economy. There
is a break point somewhere around 12 to 15,000 pounds of boat weight
where gas engines will not develop sufficient power for decent,
economical performance.

The HP numbers are deceptive, but the bottom line is that you can not
run a gas engine at more than about 50% of its rated horsepower without
seriously compromising durability/longevity. Diesels however routinely
cruise at 80 to 85% of maximum horsepower and use about half as much
fuel.

I found this out the hard way with my previous boat which was powered
with twin 350 hp gas engines and weighed about 22,000 pounds.
Performance and range were never at a level that I was happy with, and
fuel consumption was 35 to 40 gph. With 350 hp diesels, cruising speed
would have been in the mid to high 20s, fuel consumption around 25 gph,
and cruising range almost doubled.

Dene

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gas engines can be almost as safe as diesel if they are properly
maintained and operated. In my opinion that should not be the deciding
factor. The real issues are power, torque, range and economy. There
is a break point somewhere around 12 to 15,000 pounds of boat weight
where gas engines will not develop sufficient power for decent,
economical performance.

The HP numbers are deceptive, but the bottom line is that you can not
run a gas engine at more than about 50% of its rated horsepower without
seriously compromising durability/longevity. Diesels however routinely
cruise at 80 to 85% of maximum horsepower and use about half as much
fuel.

Hmmm.....the 6400 lb displacement, 27' cruiser I'm considering is powered by
a single 250 hp gas engine. Would you say that it is underpowered?

-Greg

Larry

"Capri" wrote in
oups.com:

If you religisoulsly (sp?) use a blower for at least 5 min before
starting a gas engine in order to remove any fumes from the bilge or
engine compartment, no one on board smokes and your galley is placed
well away from the engine compartment you will probably never have a
problem. The main thing is there will always be the risk of a
horrendous explosion/fire with gas that just does not exist with a
deisel engine. If the boat you are falling in love with has a gas
engine and you can tolerate the risk, I'd say go for it but I'd look
mighty hard for something else with deisel power.

Don't forget to add to this list of ignition starters of the gas fumes the
thermostat points in that electric heater in the cabin that's keeping the
pipes from freezing. Every time those points open, if the glowing coils
don't set the bomb off, the arc from the thermostat points opening easily
would.

All my cars and truck are diesel. I'd have a diesel lawn mower, but
they're too big for my tiny lot.

--
Larry
Larry

"Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com wrote in news:2s2dnXULnOa_4M3eRVn-
:

Would you say that it is underpowered?

It's overpowered at $4/gallon!....(c;

--
Larry
Peggie Hall

Larry wrote:
Don't forget to add to this list of ignition starters of the gas
fumes the thermostat points in that electric heater in the cabin
that's keeping the pipes from freezing. Every time those points open,
if the glowing coils don't set the bomb off, the arc from the
thermostat points opening easily would.

I'm sorry, Larry...but Horsefeathers! Something like that could only
happen if you were stupid enough to put the heater in the engine
compartment--and then only if you had a fuel leak. All switches,
thermostats etc that are installed in the engine compartment or in the
same compartment as the fuel tank are spark protected.

Gas engines aren't anywhere near as fuel efficient as diesel engines,
but they're every bit as safe if you follow a few very simple rules.

Most fires are caused by bad/faulty/neglected wiring. Diesel powered
boats are no more immune from that than gas powered boats. And it's a
myth that any fire on a gas powered boat will cause it to explode...they
don't unless the fuel tank or a fuel line is ruptured, which is rare.

A 250 hp gas engine on a 28' PERFORMANCE cruiser is totally
appropriate...although a he might be smart to go with a larger engine
that would provide the same performance at 2/3-3/4 power (the only thng
you were right about is, gas engines don't profit from much running at
WOT). The only question should be, can he afford the fuel to run it, or
should he settle for something designed to be slower and more
economical? The answer to that depends on how he plans to use the boat.

--
Peggie