Peggie Hall

Default Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (includingpowerplant)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:36:19 GMT, "charliekilo"

said:

I realize that gasoline engines can pose more of a fire hazard than
diesel but what I'm curious about is in modern vessels, how
significant is the difference in the danger?

According to BOAT/US research, fuel is responsible for only 8% of boat
fires. Wiring/electrical systems are the main culprit, accounting for
55%. You can read the details he
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fire/default.asp

I'd guess that at least 90% of the 8% that were the result of a fuel
leak are the result of owner/operator stupidity--failure to bother to
learn--or follow if they do know--such basic safety procedures as
running blowers after fueling before starting the engine(s).

So the REAL question isn't "what's your tolerance for risk"...it's "are
to you too much of an idiot to learn and follow a few simple
rules"...'cuz your odds of getting killed in a traffic accident on your
way to and from the marina are a LOT higher than a gas related fire
aboard if you use your brain as more than a hat rack.

Fwiw, I've owned gas powered boats all my life.

--
Peggie