Larry

Default Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant)

"Capri" wrote in
oups.com:

If you religisoulsly (sp?) use a blower for at least 5 min before
starting a gas engine in order to remove any fumes from the bilge or
engine compartment, no one on board smokes and your galley is placed
well away from the engine compartment you will probably never have a
problem. The main thing is there will always be the risk of a
horrendous explosion/fire with gas that just does not exist with a
deisel engine. If the boat you are falling in love with has a gas
engine and you can tolerate the risk, I'd say go for it but I'd look
mighty hard for something else with deisel power.

Don't forget to add to this list of ignition starters of the gas fumes the
thermostat points in that electric heater in the cabin that's keeping the
pipes from freezing. Every time those points open, if the glowing coils
don't set the bomb off, the arc from the thermostat points opening easily
would.

All my cars and truck are diesel. I'd have a diesel lawn mower, but
they're too big for my tiny lot.

--
Larry